collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You hear these songs, and they're incredibly moving. But when we talk about it as being raw or authentic, it discounts just how hard this stuff was to play and how musically sophisticated and innovative it was. There's a sense of almost remarginalizing it by talking about it as this primitive music that sprung up in the cotton fields, when in fact, it's incredibly skilled and impressive music - Amanda Petrusich, author of Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78 rpm Records

Author Topic: Son House-10" Vinyl.....  (Read 849 times)

Offline jpeters609

Re: Son House-10" Vinyl.....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:10 AM »
Curiously, the pictured record sleeve lists the years "1930-1942," but the description indicates that it includes only the 1930 Paramount recordings. It also includes that odd, obviously PhotoShopped "portrait" of Son House that someone tried to foist off as an actual pre-war image of him. Of course, this may just be an initial sketch of the sleeve and not the final product, but it makes me a little skeptical.

And the description says the record will be re-mastered directly from the scarce 78s. I would like some actual verification of that (it seems unlikely). This would be an interesting record to own, if true.

Jeff

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »
And the description says the record will be re-mastered directly from the scarce 78s. I would like some actual verification of that (it seems unlikely). This would be an interesting record to own, if true.

Actually it says, "Restored & Re mastered from rare original 78 records of which only 1 0r 2 copies still exist today." This leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

I didn't see "directly" in there (correct me if I'm wrong), so the number and kind of intermediate steps between the original 78s and the vinyl LP is anyone's guess at this point.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:48:45 AM »

Actually it says, "Restored & Re mastered from rare original 78 records of which only 1 0r 2 copies still exist today." This leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Yes, good point. I read too much into the description. Clearly, the folks behind this release are leaving themselves some wiggle room.
Jeff

Offline jostber

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 03:24:35 AM »
The web site was not too precise with their sub-text, as these seems more suitable for the 2CD set:

http://www.easyaction.co.uk/music/coming-soon/product/322-son-house-clarksdale-moan-2x-cd-set

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal