collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ain't but one way to play the blues and that's play the blues. You can't mix Lionel Hampton in with the blues. You can't mix the Cream in with the blues. You can't mix Joe and the Fish in with the blues. You can't mix the Rolling Stones in with the blues. Now if you want to play something by the Rolling Stones, you go rehearse their stuff and go play it by them. But you won't be playin no blues - Albert King

Author Topic: Additions to Weeniepedia  (Read 48984 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Additions to Weeniepedia
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
As of today, we have 1,300 country blues song lyrics transcribed in Weeniepedia

Wow, that's impressive, considering that I remember when there weren't 1,300 country blues songs available on LP to transcribe.  Gosh, that thought makes me feel old.    :(

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2012, 06:52:31 AM »
Please check it out if you've not been there before or if it's been a while since you've been there.  If you click on Lyrics when you first go to Weeniepedia, you'll be sent to the alphabetic listing of all the transcribed songs.  If on that page, you click on "Lyrics by Artist", it will take you to a page where you can link to Lyrics pages for all of the artists' whose songs we've transcribed.

Great work. Here are direct links to the lyric content pages you mentioned:

Alphabetic listing of all the transcribed songs ? http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Lyrics
Lyrics by Artist ? http://weeniecampbell.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Lyrics_by_Artist

Now the recent bandwidth issues are under control I'll take another look at integrating weeniepedia search more tightly with the forum.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:56:32 AM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
I've added a weeniepedia search to the forum, immediately underneath the regular search box in the left column. It's version 1, the alignment is not perfect particularly on Opera & IE6, will fix.

So if you type a search term into the weeniepedia search box the wiki search results will open in a new browser tab in the current tab.

[later: I think it works better to make it open the wiki results in the same tab, particularly with Safari which insists on starting a new browser session. You can hit the back button to navigate back to the forum]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 07:07:50 PM by Rivers »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2012, 08:30:53 AM »
Too cool!  :)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2012, 09:13:28 AM »
If anyone thinks it's a good idea we could put a third search up there as well, juke playlist search w/dropdown for search by title / artist / album / all, per the juke playlist page. In fact I'll put a demo together so we can see how it looks.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
I just tried it out and it works like a charm.  Well done, Rivers!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2013, 06:33:08 PM »
Hi all,
We just hit 1,400 song lyrics transcribed and entered in Weeniepedia.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
 O0  O0

Translated, that's a thumbs up!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 06:49:17 AM »
Hi all,
I've made new Song Family pages at Weeniepedia for "The Titanic", "John Henry", "Stackerlee" and "Frankie & Albert" which collect all of the songs we've transcribed in these categories, link back to discussions of them here and to the tag index for each of those categories.  Look in the Song Families category in Weeniepedia if you're interested.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »
Hi all,
A new category, Religious Songs, has been added to Weeniepedia.  If you go there, you can find a master list of the religious songs that have had  their lyrics transcribed under the letter "M", and you can also find the songs sorted by the musicians who recorded them.  The category will be added to as more religious songs are transcribed.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »
Hi all,
A new category, "Piano Players/Blues Singers", has been added to the Piano category under Musicianship in Weeniepedia.  It collects all of the songs performed by self-accompanied pianists that have been transcribed in Weeniepedia in one place.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
Hi all,
As part of an ongoing effort to make the Site less guitar-centric, I've added a page, "Piano Accompanists" to the Piano section under Musicianship in Weeniepedia.  It collects the songs in which a pianist accompanies a singer, but is not the featured vocalist.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »
Whup it, mister piano-whupper...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:05:03 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »
Was listening to Shirley Griffith tonight and it struck me that maybe another storied, archetypal song family, played in several variations, would be the Meet Me In The Bottom group. I'm thinking Shirley Griffith, Howlin' Wolf, Mance & Pink Anderson. All are great and, in my opinion, point to an older granddaddy archetypal version that we'll probably never get to hear.

There are probably more, that's all I could think of and/or find. Scrapper maybe did a version but I'm not sure about that.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »
Hi all,
We passed the 1,500 song lyrics entered in Weeniepedia mark a few days ago.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: Weeniepedia 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal