collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
These are the hottest kinda dogs... I mean, they're steamin' puppies - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Hot Dogs

Author Topic: New McTell Disc on Pristine!  (Read 1925 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
New McTell Disc on Pristine!
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
Yesss!  26 sweet McTell tracks just received the Pristine audio treatment .. I listened to the sample, and it sounds as if the guitar is 'behind' the voice a bit in the mix, but, maybe that couldn't be helped, or it's just my computer/speaker combo .. ..  for close listeners of the world, this is great news!
Regards, Tom

http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Jazz/PABL008.php

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: New McTell Disc on Pristine!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:00:34 AM »
I am very wary of these claims, so I guess my only course of action is to buy one of these Pristine releases to find out for myself. McTell is one of my all-time favourites, so maybe I'll take the plunge. We should at least be grateful for the fact that someone is devoting attention to the music we all love.

Past efforts at improving sound quality have often been to the detriment of the music - witness the music-strangulating properties of CEDAR. When artists like Robert Johnson and McTell were issued on CD on Columbia, various people claimed they were a revelation and that you could hear parts of the music never heard before. This proved to be rubbish, probably because the people making the claims were either trying to sell CDs or lacked a decent record player.

Records are technically better than CDs, as all the recorded information ends up in the grooves, whereas with CDs certain amounts of information are left out.  MP3s, downloads, or whatever leave out even more information.  I do admit however, that records can be subject to surface noise.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline jostber

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
I bet the sound on this recent vinyl release on Rockwell records will be the winner soundwise:

http://web.mac.com/rogerna/iWeb/RockwellRecords/home_files/FrontCover.jpg

http://web.mac.com/rogerna/iWeb/RockwellRecords/home.html

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »
PP  Give it a whirl, I bought the RJ ones when they first came out and they were certainly a huge step up on what went before.

It's only money   ;)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:10:37 AM »
It's very subjective and my hearing's not the best but I bought the Robert Johnson Pristine CD and whilst I have no complaints about the sound quality I heard nothing revelatory or which, frankly to me, sounded like an upgrade on previous issues.

Most McTell exists in decent sound anyway and I'm thinking of trying out one of Pristine's Paramount reissues - Patton or Blake - but my RJ experience is pushing it some way down my wants list.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:56:44 AM »
Welcome to WeenieCampbell Tony!

Offline TonyGilroy

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:31 AM »
Thank you.

I've been posting on Blind Man's Blues for a while.

I've been hooked on pre war blues since the mid 60s and been meaning to register here for a while.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »
Hi Tony, welcome, I think you'll like it here!

My original zeal over this disc stems from the fact that I've been doing a lot of close listening to McTell recently, and, having bought the Pristine RJ discs, find it's a lot easier on the ears to discern nuance on the Pristine discs than other versions I have..to me it's the difference between having a conversation in  the car with the windows rolled up vs. windows rolled down.

As far as sonic pleasure derived, well that's another issue, like debating which is better, Martin or Taylor, and will leave it up to the individual to decide for himself..

Anyone have any reports on the Patton release?  ..Regards, Tom

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal