collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down the dulcimer - Rumi

Author Topic: Question about Dylan's version of "Fixin' to Die":  (Read 1904 times)

Offline tombstonehand

Question about Dylan's version of "Fixin' to Die":
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:25:49 PM »
Bob Dylan's version of Fixin' to Die has a thumping sound that I've never been able to figure out. Allegedly it has something to do with sliding from the third fret to open on the sixth string, but I can't make it sound like the recording.

It's hard to describe, so for reference here's a link to a live version of the song where he does this "thump" pretty constantly through the song:

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Question about Dylan's version of "Fixin' to Die":
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:49:40 AM »
Slope shoulder Gibsons of that period are known for their thump. He's also most likely tuned below standard pitch or in open tuning, probably vastapol, and I have a hunch that the engineers have EQ'd this recording a little to the bass side of things. Result...thumpiness.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:55:42 AM »
Whoops I'm just on my first cup of coffee and missed that this was a video and that he's capoed up and playing in C.
I was referring to my memory of the song as it appeared on his first record...As Rosanna Rosannadana (google it) used to say....never mind.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:01:44 AM »
Hi Tombstone - You've got the right idea for the technique. I assume you have the 6th string bass tuned to D, where Bob is. Without analyzing it in detail, I'm guessing this song is played in either dropped D or perhaps double-dropped D tuning (the high E string also tuned down to D), much in the way he played Hollis Brown and some others at the time (I think - it's been awhile). Probably just dropped D. I agree with OMuck: the EQ is adding thumpiness here too.

No video OMuck. Just a photo with audio. Whatcha puttin' in yer coffee?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:10:59 AM by uncle bud »

Offline unezrider

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
hello friend,
either thats a remix, or an alternate take. it's definitely not the version on his first record - though the vocal seems close. (why, without comparing i think it could be a remix) i remember reading somewhere where dylan said he used a martin (i want to say D18, forget the vintage) on that album. i also remember him saying he really liked that guitar, but didn't know what happened to it. you may want to see if you can't find a version from his first album to listen to. i want to say that move you are talking about is used much more sparingly, & the recording has a much more 'natural' sound. probably easier to duplicate.
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Tags: Bob Dylan 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal