collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't play 'em, I stomp 'em. - Bukka White

Author Topic: Routledge Encyclopedia of the Blues  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Routledge Encyclopedia of the Blues
« on: October 20, 2005, 10:43:24 AM »
For the wealthy check this out, due for publication next month:

http://www.routledge-ny.com/ref/blues/index.html

Or recommend that a library invests in it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Routledge Encyclopedia of the Blues
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 11:13:31 AM »
Interesting, and I sincerely hope it does the subject area justice. Given that Dixon Godrich & Rye can fill a whole thick volume covering only one subject area in depth I wonder if two volumes can catch all the rest. I look forward to getting my hands on this. Or maybe I should wait til the 2nd edition, after the ensuing arguments on PWB have subsided!

Bunker, do you know who the contributers and editors are?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »
Bunker, do you know who the contributers and editors are?
Just click 'Contributors' in the left hand frame where there are also, A-Z list of entries, sample entries etc.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:42:25 AM »
Doh, sorry, I missed that. Looks good. Wish it stopped at 19-forty something though. Discussion of some (a lot actually) of what came after, interleaved with the golden age, I know I will find jarring.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 11:57:30 AM »
Doh, sorry, I missed that. Looks good. Wish it stopped at 19-forty something though. Discussion of some (a lot actually) of what came after, interleaved with the golden age, I know I will find jarring.
You and me both, you and me both. But then it will appeal even less to a library market. Everybody would have heard of the Rolling Stones or Cream so I guess their inclusion, however inappropriate I personally might think they be, are probably mandatory to get the damned thing sold/distributed.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:13:18 PM »
To put my purist hat on for a moment, oh OK, it seems to be permanently attached to my head... if they just took a leaf out of DG&R's book (sorry bad pun) and simply picked a cutoff year we wouldn't have to all grit our collective teeth. Together with DG&R it could evolve into a fabulous resource. As it is expect a large proportion to be irrelevant.

I know I'll be thinking as I read through "this is exactly what's wrong with the whole so-called blues world today..." mutter, mutter, groan, gripe, grumble, bitch.

There, now I've reviewed it before even seeing it. But I still want it.

Offline PattonsDaimon

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 01:37:40 AM »
I was solicited to be a contributor for this project, for several entries, including Bo Weavil Jackson, Whistler's Jug Band, and William Harris.  I backed out when I found out that the entries were to be no longer than 40 words or so.  You can probably expect a couple of pages on Johnson, but the lesser known folks will, as expected, be more or less ignored.
"To be is to be the value of a bound variable." -- W.V. Quine

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal