collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I die, don't bury me at all, just cremate me honey, 'cause I wants my ashes hauled - Steve James, Will and Testament Blues, American Primitive

Author Topic: Ma Rainey Lyrics  (Read 17462 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Ma Rainey's Georgia Band: Hellish Rag
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
The vocal sounds a little odd but I think it's still Ma, but she's way off mike (I assume an electrical recording, it's from 1927).

I hear:

full of is right

and this both times:
Hate to see your pappy
Get mighty happy
I mean a hellish rag, oh babe

and I think instead of Mister Rooster it's something like Mister Worcester -- addressing one of the band. I don't have my discography to hand so I'm not sure who all is there.

Cool piece!
Chris

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
Here's the song from youtube:

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2018, 10:40:40 AM »
Per B&GR, the director of Ma Rainey's Georgia Band on this session was Professor C.M. Russell. Hard to hear her saying "mister Russell, unless she pronounces it "Roossell". No one else identified in the session (prob. Shirley Clay, cornet; prob. Al Wynn, trombone; poss. Artie Starks, clarinet; all others unknown) seem like possibilities.

Interestingly, the vocalist is listed as "unknown male" and a note appears at the end of the session: "Matricies 20231 [Hellish Rag] and 20235 [Ice Bag Papa], on which Ma Rainey does not sing, are jazz rather than blues performances, but are listed for completeness." Also, you are correct, Chris, that it was electrically recorded as stated on the label for "Ice Bag Papa", which is the second graphic appearing at 0.04 (and also listing Prof. Russell) I do think it could be a woman singing and therefor Ma Rainey, but Dixon, Godrich and Rye seem to think otherwise. One thing that jumped out at me was the spoken aside, "Aw, play it! Play it now! Play that thing, boy!" which, if memory serves, is the exact locution used by Frankie "Half Pint" Jaxon, recorded in this studio during this period, altho I couldn't pinpoint any specific songs (possibly "You Got To Wet It"?). But this doesn't really sound like Jaxon.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
Thanks for the info, Wax! I agree, doesn't sound like Jaxon, and I would think we would all instantly recognize him. The vocal does sound like it could be a man, but sounds enough like Ma to make me wonder.

Interestingly, though, one bit of support for it not being Ma singing is that on "Ice Bag Papa" the label says "Ma Rainey's Georgia Band" rather than the more usual "Ma Rainey and Her Georgia Band."
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Ma Rainey Lyrics
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2023, 01:50:08 PM »
Hi all,
Ma Rainey recorded "Little Low Mama Blues" at a session in Chicago in December of 1926, backed by Blind Blake playing C position, standard tuning and "possibly Leroy Pickett" on violin, according to DG&R. She sure was a wonderful singer! Here is "Little Low Mama Blues":

INTRO

Mmmmm, Lawdy-Lawdy, Lawd
Mmmmm, Lawdy-Lawdy, Lawd
The man I'm lovin' treats me like a dog

I know I've been your dog, since I've been your gal
I've been your dog, since I've been your gal
I love you, pretty papa, follow you everywhere

If you don't want me, papa, why don't you tell me so?
If you don't want me, papa, why don't you tell me so?
I'm little and low, can get a man anywhere I go

I'm gonna build me a scaffold, papa, to hang myself
I'm gonna build me a scaffold, papa, to hang myself
Can't get the man I love, don't want nobody else

Ahhhh, Lawd, Lawd, Lawd, Lawd
Ahhhh, Lawdy-Lawdy, Lawd
Ahhhh, Lawd, ain't gon' sing no more

CODA

All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal