collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

He had a left hand like God. He didn't know what key he was playing in, but he played them all. He could play the ragtime stride bass, but it bothered him because his stomach got in the way of his arm, so he used a walking bass instead. I can remember when I was thirteen - this was 1896 - how Turk would play one note with his right hand and at the same time four with his left. We called it 'sixteen' - they called it boogie-woogie - Eubie Blake remembering William Turk, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: info on 'Bill Landford and the Landfordaires' gospel groupe?  (Read 3967 times)

RenaudB

info on 'Bill Landford and the Landfordaires' gospel groupe?
« on: January 28, 2007, 05:44:47 AM »
I have been thrilled by their voices on the Ladykillers (2004) movie soundtrack.

I found almost nothing about them on-line except that they were up in the '40s at least, and one of their record have been sampled by Moby on 'run on'.

I'm looking for every bit of info about them you could have. Is there any of their records available today?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: info on 'Bill Landford and the Landfordaires' gospel groupe?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:47:09 PM »
Hi Renaud, and welcome to Weenie Campbell!

I loved the music in Lady Killers, I have it on DVD, must watch it again. There's no mention of Bill Landford or the Landfordair(e)s in Dixon & Godrich's Blues and Gospel Records 1890 - 1943. This is usually regarded as the best reference available. So they would almost certainly be after '43.

Got a few hits on Google, mostly single tracks on compilations and couldn't see any biographical information. Did you find anything worthwhile?

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »
My own googling turned up a date from the 40s (I actually thought it was '43 but can't find it now).

The moment in the Ladykillers where they launch into Blind Willie Johnson's Let Your Light Shine On Me is a truly great moment. Better than most of the flick, IMO, and I am Coen nut. I think we should invite the Coen Brothers to Port Townsend. They're totally into the music, to the point of playing it, themselves, on set during breaks from what I hear. I think they'd have a blast.

Welcome Renaud!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:51:17 PM »
Thought I'd resurrect this in light of recently having referred to the 1993 edition of the Laughton & Hayes discography "Gospel Records 1943-1969", spotted Bill Landford whose name rang bells in my brain (no Quasimodo jokes please), finally tracking it down to a WC thread!

Landford and The Landfordaires recorded a six song session for Columbia (15 December, 1949, N. Y.). On 19 May 1953, the Bill Landford Quartet recorded two songs for Victor in Nashville and that seems to be about it. The entry has a footnote stating he's probably the same guy as was in the Golden Gate and Southern Sons quartets.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 06:51:45 PM »
There you go Bunker, you are definitely unusually gifted in the memory department. And much appreciated around here I might add.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »
There you go Bunker, you are definitely unusually gifted in the memory department. And much appreciated around here I might add.
What actually made it stick in my memory was the title of the cited movie, Lady Killers. As a 10 year old I was taken to see a British comedy film called The Ladykillers (with Alec Guiness and Peter Sellars) the antics in which had my child like sense of humour in fits of laughter. In adulthood I discovered there was a "darker" aspect to the film...but it's still a classic of 50s British cinema and I hope to God nobody attempts to remake it 21st century style!

Oh dear I'm running off at the mouth again!

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:14:07 AM »
The Ladykillers (2004) version referred to in this thread was indeed a remake of the classic British film, The Ladykillers, transposed to the American south, and was not nearly as good, despite a nice soundtrack and the fact that it was produced and directed by the Coen brothers. Hard to compete with Alec Guiness and Peter Sellers in the end.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 11:19:23 AM »
The Ladykillers (2004) version referred to in this thread was indeed a remake of the classic British film, The Ladykillers, transposed to the American south
Woe is me, is nothing sacred? :) In the words of a gospel song "I don't feel at home in this world any more".  ::)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:20:32 AM by Bunker Hill »

Tags: Bill Landford 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal