collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Evenin' was at midnight when I heard that local blow - Charlie Patton, Moon Goin' Down

Author Topic: CDs/Sets You're Listening To  (Read 71457 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: CDs/Sets You're Listening To
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »
Ellington at Newport. Yes, the one with the 32 chorus sax solo! Fantastic  :P

That brings back memories, Richard. We used to listen to it daily in the mid '70s, and would use it to really ratchet up the dancing at Parties. Paul Gonsalves rocked.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline maddoggirl

« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2009, 08:01:24 AM »
Home Sweet Blues, a cheap, unpretentious set which is one of the best blues complilations I've ever come across. Every track is a gem, some better known than others but all excellent and, astonishingly, no filler or second-rate padding in sight.
This was the first blues CD I ever bought, and it was a phenomenally lucky choice. Highly, highly recommended.
rambling about movies, from 1930 on up at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com/

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2009, 11:53:53 AM »
Wax, I couldn't agree more, it has to wound right up and stuff the neighbours! Rocks is the word, especially when the band comes back in with the riff in in the wrong place towrds the end :P 
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2009, 07:52:47 PM »
The Ellington album I remember really enjoying was Duke Elllington's Cosmic Spacemen. Duke with a select group of musicians. I see it's still available.

Regards, Phil

Offline unezrider

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »
hello friend,
thanks to uncle bud's info on county records having a sale - i have been listening to uncle dave macon's 'go long mule' cd. i love uncle dave & his fruit jar drinkers! i wish all music made me this happy  :D

"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
I've been listening to:

Roger Hubbard - "out of my hands" - IMHO some really inspired music.

Buick 6 - "Live At The Telegraph" - A live album by Roger and his bandmates playing material from their earlier album "Cypress Grove," and other songs as well.

Paul and Annie - "A Night In Woodstock" - Another excellent live album,  recorded at the Joyous Lake in Woodstock.

Phil Heywood - "You Got To Move" - Great guitar playing by a man who knows how to make music.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:06:49 AM by Stuart »

Offline thecountryblues

• You ain't shit unless you can make 'em dance
    • www.thecountryblues.com
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2009, 02:56:10 PM »
One of the best kept secrets is the "burn-on-demand" service that Smithsonian-Folkways offers, officially called "Custom Compact Disc Series".
They will burn out-of-print, non-released and other specialty items from their archives. You can contact them and get the catalog.

Among my favorites is an album by Big Joe Williams and his cousin Short Stuff Macon.
The album was "Hell Bound & Heaven Sent". I owned the LP back in 1974, and still have it, but it is trashed from overplay on cheap record players over the years.
I also stocked up on Pink Anderson, Sleepy John Estes, JD Short, Sonny & Brownie, and many more.

Anyway, that service has a treasure drove of stuff.
Has anyone else discovered that? For the same price as a regular CD, they will go into the vaults. Who else does that?

I just love Smithsonian Folkways!
But, what am I listening to?
Honestly, the other day I was playing Robert Johnson for the millionth time, and contemplated how it is possible that I never get tired of it. I must have played it so much that I should be dead sick of it,but no, it's like Mozart, Beethoven, Miles Davis - Kinda Blue. I own many (like really many) CDs, including a blues collection to brag about. Yet, I always fall back to RJ as my quintessential comfort food.

There are a few artists, not just in blues, that have stayed with me since my very formative years-- and by now that makes some years of listening.

Both Bonnie Raitt and Ry Cooder are among the best living blues performers I have ever heard. However, nobody, none of the greats in jazz or blues  get to me the way RJ does. I just love Robert Johnson. I will never forget when I first heard his stuff. It sounds just as good to me today. Before I die, I want to hear it a million times more.

FM
(no, not Frequency Modulation- Frank Matheis)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »
One of the best kept secrets is the "burn-on-demand" service that Smithsonian-Folkways offers, officially called "Custom Compact Disc Series".They will burn out-of-print, non-released and other specialty items from their archives. You can contact them and get the catalog...

Has anyone else discovered that? For the same price as a regular CD, they will go into the vaults. Who else does that?

I've replaced a few of my whupped Folkways LPs with their CD on demand service. My "A World of Sound" print catalog is from 1997 I believe--about the time when I ordered my first custom CD from them. As I recall, not everything that came out on vinyl is listed on their website (they may have filled in the gaps--I haven't checked), so if you don't see what you're looking for, give them a call.

Rounder offers a similar service, but their offerings are not comprehensive--they are relatively limited, in fact.

http://www.rounderarchive.com/

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2009, 05:58:28 AM »
In a similar vein, there's the British Archive of Country Music ( http://bacm.users.btopenworld.com/ ).   It has a range of CDs (cheap, ?10), which are pretty much burned to order.   I've been listening to the two Buell Kazee compilations this week, great stuff.   An added bonus, two of the tracks feature Jack Kapp as a Brunswick studio employee in a hillbilly comedy skit.

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »
Amazon also offers quite a few otherwise out-of-print jazz albums as burn-to-order CD-Rs. 

Offline framus12

« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2009, 09:01:36 PM »
Working my way through all the Rev. Gary Davis on the juke request archive...

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2009, 07:31:19 AM »
Just received a magazine review copy of the new album from Newcastle (UK) duo Lee Bates (aka Ginger Geezer in Weenieland) and Billy Newton and have to say it's one of the finest blues CDs I've heard in a while.  My review will doubtless reflect my initial enthusiasm for this CD.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline unezrider

« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
hello friend,
the old hat release "violin, sing the blues for me" hasn't left my cd player in the past week. well remastered & well packaged. great, great music!

"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
the old hat release "violin, sing the blues for me" hasn't left my cd player in the past week. well remastered & well packaged. great, great music!

It's sister CD, "Folks, He Sure Do Pull Some Bow!," is great as well.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »

It's sister CD, "Folks, He Sure Do Pull Some Bow!," is great as well.
Ditto Stuart's sentiment.  I haven't heard the 'sing the blues' release yet tho.

Dave

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal