collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The old expression says, 'simplicity is only the absence of clutter', it's not a substance. That's all, right?... The timing's harder. The less notes you play, the harder the timing. When you're playing quick it's just eighth notes so they're all even. Syncopation is created from the space - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Leadbelly on Louisiana Hayride?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
Leadbelly on Louisiana Hayride?
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »
Check this photo out:
http://www.louisianahayride.com/
Did Leadbelly really appear on the Louisiana Hayride? If so, anyone have any details?
Thanks.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Leadbelly on Louisiana Hayride?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 10:20:39 AM »
There's no index reference under either Hayride or Louisiana Hayride in the index of Wolfe & Lornell's 1992 Leadbelly biography and I'm sure if it was mentioned by them I would have remembered it. It's the sort of tidbit that's hard to forget!  :)

The website states the Hayride started in April 1948, Leadbelly died in December 1949. A quick skim read through that period covered by the book and the associated notes at the back the term Hayride failed to catch my eye...

Offline poymando

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:55:41 AM »
Check out this site:
http://www.collegenews.org/x4196.xml
And this paragraph...
"Laird shares tales of how the Hayride nurtured talents like Shreveport native Huddie Ledbetter, better known as Leadbelly, the ?king of the 12-string guitar,? Jimmie Davis, the singing governor of Louisiana who penned ?You are My Sunshine,? and a generation of studio sidemen and producers who steered popular music long after the Hayride?s weekly broadcast heyday".

Still wondering..Never heard of this..

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 12:11:15 PM »
And this paragraph...
"Laird shares tales of how the Hayride nurtured talents like Shreveport native Huddie Ledbetter, better known as Leadbelly, the ?king of the 12-string guitar,? Jimmie Davis, the singing governor of Louisiana who penned ?You are My Sunshine,? and a generation of studio sidemen and producers who steered popular music long after the Hayride?s weekly broadcast heyday".
Hmm, by the time the Hayride began these cited artists were long established so how could it possibly nurture them? Especially in the case of Leadbelly who had been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. ;D
Worriedly yours from England

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:37:38 PM »
Elvis Pressley???

Tags: Leadbelly 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal