collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Sweet Singer of the Swamplands Here to Do a Few Tunes between Homicides" - January 3, 1935, headline in the New York Herald Tribune announcing the arrival of Leadbelly

Author Topic: Country Blues 78 Collectors  (Read 1320 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Country Blues 78 Collectors
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »
It's been a minute since I've been a regular participant in this form, and in the intervening years I somehow caught the bug and became a collector.  Wondering who else here actively collects shellac and/or is sitting on a collection that you've had for years.

I bought my first collectible blues 78 in late 2015, then started going really nuts in 2016.  Probably have around 200 or so blues 78s now, and an additional 25-ish jug band records.  Not much insanely rare stuff, other than a few key items - Famous Hokum Boys "Saturday Night Rub/Black Cat Rag" on Perfect, Will Weldon's "Turpentine Blues" on Victor, Blind Willie McTell's Vocalion recording of "Lord Have Mercy If You Please," etc.  I've managed to find two Frank Stokes records, one Beale Street Sheiks, a handful of BLJ, and a pair of Cannon's Jug Stompers.

Anyway, I'd like to connect with fellow serious collectors if there are any here on the forum.

Offline Lignite

Re: Country Blues 78 Collectors
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »
Hey Dance Gypsy, It's a fun bug isn't it? I started collecting in the 1960s. 78s were easier to find in the wild then. Look at the photo gallery section of Weenie Campbell. At the very bottom is a site called 78 Record Labels. You can see scans of a lot of my best blues 78s there. I feel like I'm the only member taking advantage of  this particular site. Show us some of your records and share them with us. It's easy. It's fun! All you need is a scanner.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:23:02 AM »
I never got into collecting 78s, but clearly remember visiting a friend who used to live nearby to hear his modest collection. What struck me, especially with regard to one by Bukka White, was the listening experience. Once your mind filters out the scratches, the sound quality is exceptional. Also, it was almost like being in the room with the person playing, as the recording seemed to somehow capture the ambience of the surroundings as well. They were, of course, recorded straight to disc with no mixing, tampering, etc. so everything went into the groove.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:25:28 AM »
I live an hour from Joe Bussard. I highly recommend anyone nearby to go visit Joe. He is easy to get ahold of and very welcoming. It's an eye and ear opening experience hanging with Joe in his basement museum archive, hearing all the canvassing stories and the endless great records. His sound system is incredible and you will hear pre war music like you've never heard it before. He's been selling alot of his more valuable records off in the last few years. He says he wants to leave money behind for his family after he croaks, so get down there.
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal