collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Got a head full of foolishness, my baby got a ramblin' mind. - Jaybird Coleman

Author Topic: Review of '112 Guildford St.'......  (Read 491 times)

Offline Adam Franklin

Review of '112 Guildford St.'......
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »
Nice review of my last studio cd, featured in Blues In Britain magazine......

Adam Franklin ? 112 Guildford St.
Mr. Waxy Records ? waxys-004
I was only introduced to Adam Franklin recently when he joined Del Rey on stage at a gig in Hastings and I was immediately impressed by his instrumental and vocal skills, as well as his stage presence. Of the 14 tracks on this CD, 6 are Franklin originals and the rest covers of classics of country blues and early jazz. Adam accompanies himself on resophonic guitars and ukulele, putting in a fine performance throughout.
   The album kicks off with a fine rendition of Fred McDowell?s ?Kokomo Blues? with some driving guitar accompaniment. Other artists covered include Charley Patton, Robert Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson from the pre-war period, whereas a cracking version of Muddy?s ?Can?t Be Satisfied?, played somewhat surprisingly and innovatively on banjo-uke, delves into the Chicago blues era. ?Yo-Yo Blues? is a Barbecue Bob song given the Franklin treatment, but still true to the spirit of the original with hints of Mr. Hicks? bottleneck style. Franklin original ?Falling Rain? features a guitar accompaniment reminiscent of Blind Blake with great ragtime picking and a relaxed feel. This and the other original pieces demonstrate that Adam is well capable of writing interesting lyrics relevant to today and fitting them into the country blues genre.
   I wholeheartedly recommend this album to fans of downhome blues and especially those with a love for resophonic instruments.

The reviewer is a forum member. And a splendid chap.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:14:30 AM by Adam Franklin »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Review of '112 Guildfrod St.'......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
The reviewer is a forum member. And a splendid chap.

I could take an inspired guess..
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal