collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If I made records for my own pleasure, I would only record Charlie Patton songs - Charlie Patton, honored by Bob Dylan

Author Topic: Final Blues Images Calendar  (Read 784 times)

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
Final Blues Images Calendar
« on: September 08, 2022, 05:31:44 AM »

Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline jpeters609

Re: Final Blues Images Calendar
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »
This looks to be the track listing for the accompanying CD:

01   Run, Mollie, Run                                                                       Henry Thomas     

02   No More Ball And Chain                                                             Joshua White     

03   Shipwreck Blues                                                                       Bessie Smith     

04   Old Rounder's Blues                                                                  Funny Paper Smith     

05   Balky Mule Blues                                                                      Blind Lemon Jefferson     

06   Blake's Worried Blues                                                                Blind Blake     

07   Worn Down Daddy Blues                                                           Ida Cox     

08   Lexington Kentucky Blues                                                          Papa Charlie Jackson     

09   Big Boy Blues                                                                            Ma Rainey     

10   Blue Devil Blues                                                                        Texas Alexander     

11   Poor Me                                                                                    Charley Patton     

12   A Sermon On A Silver Dollar                                                      Brother Fullbosom     

13   Moses Go Down To Pharaoland                                                   Brother Fullbosom     

14   Gonna Play My Guitar (Letter To Muddy Waters)                          Playboy Fuller     

15   Freight Train In The Morning [Unreleased]                                  Playboy Fuller     

16   Sugar Cane Highway – Alt Tk [Studio Chatter]                            Playboy Fuller     

17   Going Back To Mobile [Unreleased]                                            Playboy Fuller     

18   Mr Charlie [Unreleased]                                                            Pete Franklin     

19   Springtime Blues                                                                      Scrapper Blackwell     

20   St Louis Woman Blues–Test, Tk 1 [Unreleased]                     Irene Scruggs with Little Brother Montgomery                                                                                                                                       

21   St Louis Woman Blues–Test, Tk 2 [Unreleased]                     Irene Scruggs with Little Brother Montgomery                                                                                                                                   

22   Beat You Doing It                                                               Edith North Johnson     

23   Whispering To My Man                                                        Edith North Johnson     

24   Ain't Gonna Worry My Life Any More [Unreleased]                 Memphis Willie Borum     

25   I'm Going Away Blues                                                         Frank Stokes
Jeff

Offline jostber

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 07:01:15 PM »
Thanks for posting. Got to get this again when it's available. Looking forward to hear that unissued Funny Paper Smith song.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 09:34:44 PM »
Sad that it's ending. I've got most of them, better get the missing ones before they sell out.

My heartfelt thanks go to John Tefteller for putting them out there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:44:10 PM by Rivers »

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 03:52:57 AM »
My only issue with this one is that Patton's Poor Me is 1934 Vocalion, way after Paramount. What's with that error??
I've been collecting them all since the very beginning, I even lost some in a house fire a decade ago and they replaced them for free. I was 17 when the first one came out, 37 now. I grew up country blues obsessed. The sheer excitement when unreleased Son House, Blind Joe Reynolds, King Solomon Hill etc. were unveiled was unmatched, also the cleaner copies of previously known 78's was great, especially some of the scratchier Pattons. The vanity recording of Lane Hardin was astounding! I've assembled highlights of these collections into my ongoing discographic playlist of best possible remasters of country blues artists including Patton, Brown, Skip James, etc.  The story of the rescuing of all the photos and ads was also incredible. I only wish that the once proposed book collaboration with R Crumb had panned out. Long Live Blues Images!
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline jostber

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 03:55:30 AM »
The Blues Calendar discography:

https://www.wirz.de/music/calendar.htm

Offline Hardluckchild

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 03:30:22 AM »
Is anyone having trouble ordering the calendar / getting in touch with Mr. Teftteller? I've been trying to do so for a week, but he hasn't called me back. Would sure love to hear the Funny Papa Smith recording before the calendar goes out of production.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 09:26:39 AM »
Did you try e-mail? The calendar release date is 10/21/22. It's available for pre-order at couple of websites. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/CLASSIC-ARTWORK-CALENDAR-various-artists/dp/B0BGM6QLM8/

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:32:21 AM by Stuart »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 05:05:04 AM »
Just got a newsletter from Frog Records;

2023 Calendar with classic artwork from the 1920s

https://www.frog-records.co.uk/products/2023-calendar-with-classic-artwork-from-the-1920s-by-blues-images?_pos=1&_sid=a4f34c579&_ss=r

Offline jostber

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 01:32:47 PM »

Offline unezrider

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 08:39:58 PM »
I emailed them, & they got back right away. PayPal took care of the rest.
Its awful sad to see it come to an end. But it brought a daily joy to me over the past 20 years, & I whole heartedly thank John for that.
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2022, 03:08:50 PM »
I received mine yesterday. It's always a treat. I listened to the CD simply to listen and enjoy. Maybe I'll do some comparing of the sound quality of various tracks with other reissues later, but we'll see. Nick Bergh, Joel Tefteller (John's son) and John Polito do the various steps in the remastering process, so I'm confident in the final results of this year's CD.

John Tefteller writes that the cost of producing the calendar and CD has risen to where the retail cost is being pushed beyond what the customer base can be expected to bear, thus the decision to end the series. Twenty years ain't a bad run though. There are new projects in the pipeline such as a book of promotional graphics for the records of the 20s and 30s, and also CDs with top quality remastering, both as singles and sets. So we'll still have something to look forward to.

Offline jostber

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 04:54:43 AM »
I received mine yesterday. It's always a treat. I listened to the CD simply to listen and enjoy. Maybe I'll do some comparing of the sound quality of various tracks with other reissues later, but we'll see. Nick Bergh, Joel Tefteller (John's son) and John Polito do the various steps in the remastering process, so I'm confident in the final results of this year's CD.

John Tefteller writes that the cost of producing the calendar and CD has risen to where the retail cost is being pushed beyond what the customer base can be expected to bear, thus the decision to end the series. Twenty years ain't a bad run though. There are new projects in the pipeline such as a book of promotional graphics for the records of the 20s and 30s, and also CDs with top quality remastering, both as singles and sets. So we'll still have something to look forward to.

Great to hear this regarding other releases will be coming out in the future. Thanks for updating.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal