collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Among God's creations two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all sizes and shapes in order not to be separated from man - Andres Segovia

Author Topic: Bo Carter & the Mississippi Sheiks - new JSP box set  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Bo Carter & the Mississippi Sheiks - new JSP box set
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:32:43 AM »
Bo Carter & the Mississippi Sheiks also featuring Charlie McCoy & The Chatmon Brothers turned up among my 'recommendations' at Amazon, appears to be new, I don't recall it being mentioned before.
[float=right][/float]
Compiled and annotated by Neil Slaven, 100 cuts, great value at $27.71 (assuming the sound is good) as usual from JSP. Here's a link to the Amazon page.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:39:26 AM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Bo Carter & the Mississippi Sheiks - new JSP box set
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
Discussed here: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3098.msg67402#msg67402

Not a complete Bo set, more a Bo, Sheiks, Blacksnakes, McCoy, Chatmon compilation.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:04:28 AM »
Thanks Andrew. There seems to be plenty of material on there that I don't seem to have so I'll be getting it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:36:53 PM »
I got it, I love Waterloo Records. Review later when I've had a chance to listen & read.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
I have found this to be quite an enjoyable listen even though I have several tracks elsewhere, there is a flow and consistency that makes for a satisfying listening experience.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:48:27 AM »
I have found this to be quite an enjoyable listen even though I have several tracks elsewhere, there is a flow and consistency that makes for a satisfying listening experience.

I agree.

Alex

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
I also agree. It's a very entertaining program and has a nice musical sound throughout, production-wise.

Surface noise is low. So if you dig surface noise this may not be for you. :P At the same time, distortion I can hear clearly, if that's not a contradiction, on other transfers of the same songs I happen to have in my collection is pretty much gone.

The cover note font is so tiny as to be unreadable, at least to me. I'm going to scan them so I can blow them up, since I generally enjoy reading Neil Slaven's take on things.

Psycho-acoustics are in play; you have to listen to a few tracks to catch the atmosphere and it's all good from there. You still need your Old Hat version of Alma Waltz though.

And as I mentioned there are many tracks I don't have elsewhere so I's happy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal