collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It has been reliably reported that the bus with the performers that accompanied him pulled out of town, leaving him behind on the streets of Houston, still drunk - Doctor Clayton is ditched by his band after showing up under the influence at a dance gig for 3,000 people in Houston, Houston Informer, August 29, 1942

Author Topic: Uncle Dave Macon biography - Charles Wolfe  (Read 1330 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Uncle Dave Macon biography - Charles Wolfe
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »
Here's a link to a PDF of a short Uncle Dave biography that Charles Wolfe did for the Rutherford County Historical Society in 1995.

http://digital.mtsu.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/rchs/id/100
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:26:04 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Mule Head Boy

• Howdy!
Re: Uncle Dave Macon biography - Charles Wolfe
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »
Hello Uncle Bud,
    Thank you for posting this. I have a little story to share with you about this publication. In 1995 when it was written by Dr. Wolfe, I was a student at Middle Tennessee State University where he taught English. I took one of his classes, and during this class I wrote a paper about the history of the banjo. (Earned an A on it!)  I was also friends with Charles Nored who was president of the Rutherford County Historical Society at that time. I was there the day when Mr. Nored first received the boxes of this biography from the publisher, and he was kind enough to sell me the very first one. They were not numbered, so I asked him to write something inside it to prove that it was indeed the very first copy.

Here is what he wrote:
...This is the first copy sold by the RCHS.
Charles L Nored

I also got Dr. Wolfe to sign it
Here is what he wrote
...To James, with best wishes to a good student and good banjo player
Charles Wolfe, Feb 18, 1996

The Rutherford County Historical Society sold these for $5.00 each, and perhaps 100 years from now my special "first edition" will be worth as much as twice that amount...ha ha. To me, however, it is precious beyond measure...even if it is full of typos (I think they forgot to edit it first before publishing it) :)

Sincerely,
   James Elliott
A.K.K Mule Head Boy

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Hi Mule Head Boy - welcome to Weenie Campbell. Thanks for the story. I envy you having Charles Wolfe as a professor. His Leadbelly biography with Kip Lornell is one of my favorite blues books.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
I've got that booklet and now there is a new photo book foretelling  a new Macon biography coming from his great grandson found here:  http://www.countysales.com/products.php?product=UNCLE-DAVE-MACON-%27A-Photo-Tribute

This short volume is chock full of pictures and is a very good synopsis of his life with interesting insights.  Looking forward to the full volume when it is done.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal