collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Old Yank's wife, when she seen me and John coming, she'd start throwing Yank's clothes outdoors - Hammie Nixon, in The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Acoustic blues night - review  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Acoustic blues night - review
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
I'm with you John, the light hearted aspect has become somewhat gloomy.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »
We are all doomed anyway.

Offline eric

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Thanks John. This is supposed to be fun after all. 

By the way, I've been following and attempting your series "What's musician doing?"  Great stuff.  Hope to see you at Blues Week this year.
--
Eric

Offline eric

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »
We are all doomed anyway.

Stop trying to cheer me up, Rivers.   ;D
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »
Yup, I'll be at Port Townsend, Eric--see you there.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »
I found this topic depressing from the get go. How can doing nothing but slagging fellow musicians be considered "in fun"?

Get out and play the music and create the audience that is out there ready to appreciate this music.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »
Depressing? That's because we're all doomed......

Offline Monkeyhanger

• sure worked my fingers then
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 11:50:29 PM »
This is so relevant in my neck of the woods wherever you see 'Blues Night' you can guarantee it will go down like the above posts.
Exists in other genres too...I play in a Folk trio where we mix up work songs, and traditional fair with some blues etc and we have the tune Katie Cruel in our setlist delivering something like 'here is a Scottish folk song supposed to be dated around the 1760's which presumably found its way to the US Civil War era..blah blah'
 crowd 'do you know any folk music, y'know like Mumford & Sons'  :o

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
One of the things I was told while playing the streets, long long ago in a country far away....(ok, it was Frankfurt aM in the 70's)...  "Don't feed the squirrels, they only come back for more."  Play your set, your way.  If you are entertaining, the crowd will appreciate and toss a few coins.  If not, they move on.  I found the same to be true in bars and pubs.  Play your set - let the crowd sort themselves out.  If  you entertain the crowd, they stay and buy more drinks, the manager is happy, and you get a paycheck. 
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Offline Bristol Blue

• Awright Mate?
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 02:55:27 AM »
Hi everyone . I'm new to Weenie as I'm only 46 and new to this on-line cyber lark ! Only just been reading this thread ,started about a year ago! I'm in Bristol too and have not been able to find any country blues type happenings in the Bristol area on the 'net. I'm not sure I'm confident to play but I really would like to go out and enjoy some live acoustic Blues and meet some like minded people. Like other members on Weenie, I like electric Blues too but usually you get Blues Rock /Cream /ZZ Top/ Bonamassa blah blah ... Is it worth trawling through folk music listings or is it going to be just Mumford & Sons clones?
As we're talking of genres within a genre: A good friend of mine said "You like BB King ? He's the real Blues !! You should listen to George Thorogood & the Destroyers if you're into the Blues !!" He also said Bob Marley was not a real Reggae artist.
No accounting for taste , each to their own etc
Bristol Blue

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 12:11:36 PM »
Hello there Bristle Blue, now you could always get yourself down to The Orchard  pub ( close to Mr Brunel's ship Great Briatain  and incidentally where the aformentioned awful infamous blues gig happens) and say hello - I'm there every 3rd Tuesday playing jazz although with Xmas  messing up the rota the next time is Tuesday 26 Jan - we might even persuade those young tearaways Harvey\Norfolk Slim to appear as they are not that far away - who knows we might even start something!

And, don't forget there is always the annual euroweenie event in April now it has moved to Somerset on Sea.

Let me know.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:13:36 PM by Richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal