collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail - Anon., A skilled Weenie, suffering through yet another 12 bar blues

Author Topic: John Miller video lessons/books on sale  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
John Miller video lessons/books on sale
« on: June 23, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »
Hi all,
Stefan Grossman is having a sale on all eighteen of my video lessons that I did for him this week, through this coming Sunday, June 27, and the prices on all of the lessons are deeply discounted. All of the lessons can be purchased in downloadable versions too, if you're not interested in having a DVD. Go to guitarvideos.com to see what's available.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 10:26:46 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: John Miller video lessons/books on sale
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »
Hi all,
I just visited Stefan Grossman's website and discovered that for the week Monday, June 28--Sunday, July 4 he will be having all of my books on sale. They are:
   * John Miller's Country Blues Guitar Collection
   * The Guitar of Mississippi John Hurt--The Rediscovery Years
   * East Coast Fingerstyle Blues Guitar
   * Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar
   * Beginning Fingerstyle Blues Guitar
   * Mississippi Fingerstyle Blues Guitar
   * The Guitar of Blind Lemon Jefferson
The books are all available in hard copy or downloadable versions. They list for $24.95 and Stefan will be offering them for $19.95, a price I can't match (and free postage in the U.S. with the exception of Hawaii and Alaska). Go to: https://www.guitarvideos.com/stefan-grossmans-guitar-workshop-online-store#!/On-Sale/c/33776493 to check out the books.
Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 09:22:19 AM »
Hi John,  I am desperate to get involved with this event, the problem is I own all of these already ! - take that a as compliment

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 10:20:42 AM »
Well thanks, Andrew, and I hope that you're enjoying the Lemon book in particular, since I know that you're a big fan of his. I hope that you and your family are all doing well.
All best,
John

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 02:46:37 AM »
You are welcome John..... the Lemon Book, I am absorbed in it, a lifetimes work there for me. A great book.

my initial thoughts :

Excellent write up from Alan and Kip, some facts I never knew in there,  and nice analysis of some of his lyrics. Really enjoyed that.   

I found really interesting your piece about his time, I think you articulated that really well and in more detail than I ever gave Lemon credit for....I always thought that his guitar parts were so intricate and some cases going at such break neck speed he just took a rest on the one chord at the end of a lot verses, it usually makes me laugh.

You have also opened my ears to the Okeh version Matchbox blues, I hadn't gone to the top of the tree straight away for any other reason than I know the paramount versions intimately as I have been attempting to play them for years.   (I had always focused in on the Paramount version(s) only because I liked the foot tapping a the beginning.)
Oh my word, the Okeh version is incredible, some licks similar but a few of different variations. verses 2 I don't think that is in Paramount version(s) some examples of my one chord rest comment at the end of verse 2 and 3, considering the recordings are 3 months apart, I think, just shows he must have improvised a lot, varying tempo's, speed of the licks, wow. 

I am now starting to pick through other songs I thought I knew ! going to be here sometime.....

Much appreciated John, excellent book. 

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »
Did you buy the online one or the physical one Andrew?  Its unfortunate that Stefan's postage is more expensive than the book itself!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 03:08:22 PM »
Yeah, I saw that too. I think europeans are better off with the direct download versions.
They had a european franchise in the past if I recall correctly with much lower postage.

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 03:35:56 AM »
I paid for both versions .... not that money is no object or anything like that, I just like having both for certain books, I prefer to read the words in hard copy and have one to keep.  I tend to read the music on my laptop (portable music stand I suppose) .... I can't recall what I paid for postage and struggling to find the receipt now. 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »
Hi All,
I am offering all of my books, in signed copies (or unsigned, if you prefer) at $25.00/book to U. S. residents and I will cover the cost of postage and handling. The books are as follows:
  * John Miller's Country Blues Guitar Collection--This is an anthology that has songs by a wide range of performers, including John Hurt, Furry Lewis, Julius Daniel, Buddy Moss, Bo Carter, Walter Vinson and Memphis Minnie, along with others. 24 songs
   * The Guitar of Mississippi John Hurt--The Rediscovery Years--transcriptions of 24 recorded performances of John Hurt's from the period in between his rediscover in 1963 and his death in 1966.
   * East Coast Fingerstyle Blues Guitar--25 songs by East Coast blues players like Peg Leg Howell, William Moore, Luke Jordan, Blind Blake, Blind Willie McTell, Buddy Moss, Blind Boy Fuller plus more obscure players like Virgil Childers, Ralph Willis, Sonny Jones, Gabriel Brown and Willie Trice
   * Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar--27 songs by Texas musicians, including Lemon Jefferson, Willie Reed, Blind Willie Johnson, Little Hat Jones, Funny Papa Smith, Smith Casey, Willie Reed, Lightnin' Hopkins, Lil' Son Jackson, Frankie Lee Sims and Mance Lipscomb.
   * Mississippi Fingerstyle Blues Guitar--27 songs by 27 different Mississippi musicians, including William Harris, Jim Jackson, Sam Collins, Bo Weavil Jackson, Rube Lacey, Ishmon Bracey, Mattie Delaney, Garfield Akers, Joe Callicott, Bo Carter, Skip James, Booker White, Big Joe Williams, Tommy McClennan, Arthur Crudup, Robert Petway, Fred McDowell, Rosa Lee Hill, and others.
   * The Guitar of Blind Lemon Jefferson--22 songs by Lemon, with musical analysis and a biographical essay.
   * Hillbilly Fingerstyle Blues Guitar--27 songs by a host of white blues players, including Sam McGee, Frank Hutchison, Riley Puckett, Maybelle Carter, Clarence Greene, Dick Justice, David McCarn, Debs Mays, Hobart Smith, Roscoe Holcomb, E. C. Ball and others.
   * Beginning Fingerstyle Guitarist--For folks starting out, a thorough grounding in fingerstyle guitar that includes emphasis on rhythm playing and thumb lead playing as well as picking with alternating and monotonic bass.

To order any of the books, make a deposit of the appropriate amount to my account at www.paypal.com, which is the same as my email address: john@johnmillerguitar.com . Be sure to include a message indicating which book or books you are ordering and the address to which you would like the books sent. Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: John Miller 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal