collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I asked him how 'bout it and he said, "all right." I asked him how long, and he said, "all night!" - Mattie Delaney, Big Road Blues

Author Topic: Need Help with 2nd position G chord  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Need Help with 2nd position G chord
« on: April 12, 2006, 07:20:06 AM »
I need some help with fingering a chord in MJH's Louis Collins...I'm working through the version that Steffen Grossman has on his "Fingerpicking Country Blues Guitar" DVD. In the chorus it starts with a 2nd (?) position G chord...basically an F with the thumb...slid up to the 3rd fret...from this position you are supposed to be able to reach out with your pinky to hit the 6th fret on the high E....my finger just don't do that...doesn't even come close.  With other difficult chords I could usually force it if I did it slow...but with this one... my pinky just doesn't stretch that way...it just stays glued to my ring finger.

here is a quick diagram I whipped up to clarify my question

Any suggestions for how I stretch my pinky out...so I can play this?

Cheers,

Blue in VT

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 07:51:29 AM by Blue in VT »
Blue in VT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Need Help with 2nd position G chord
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:33:48 AM »
Hi Blue in VT,
The way to get the fifth fret is to finger the G chord as you normally would (third finger fretting 3rd fret 6th string, little finger fretting 3rd fret 1st string), and slide the little finger up two frets, lifting all the other fingers while doing so.  Having picked the fifth fret first string, go right back down two frets and re-grab the G chord.  Best of luck with this.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 09:45:15 AM »
Thanks john, I'll give that a try...its very frustrating to watch Stefen play this chord..like its no big deal...his pinky just reaches out there and does it...no big deal...I guess thats what several decades of playing does for ya eh?

thanks again,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:31:48 AM »
Blue, for what it's worth, the way John describes this move is the way I play it as well. I'd certainly take his opinion over mine regardless of how I play it, but just adding some backup. I've also seen many other players do it this way, and it sounds to me like the way John Hurt played it too.

As for the pinky stretch you describe, time and repetition will help. But it's not necessary for this song IMO.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 08:30:26 AM »
Blue, I agree with Johmm and Uncle Bud about the slide up to the fifth fret.  The sound of the slide up on the first string is what makes that part of the accompaniment so beautiful, in my opinion.

But I'm puzzled by your diagram.  First, shove the fret numbers one to the right, so that your thumb and index fingers are just behind (to the left of) the 3rd fret, your middle finger is just behind the 4th fret, and your ring finger is just behind the 5th fret.  That's the G chord.  I don't know what Stephan is doing with the accompaniment at that point, but I can't see what the B flat (1st string, 6th fret) would be doing in that part of the song.  Are you sure he doesn't mean the 2nd string 6th fret?  That would give you an F that corresponds to the melody note of "him" in the first line of the chorus.  If you're tracking the melody, the only note you need to fret with your pinky on the first string would be at the 5th fret (A), 2 frets above your index finger.  And that's a lot easier to finger than the 6th fret.

Please ignore this (or feel free to make snide comments  :D) if I've totally misunderstood what either you or Stephan are trying to do here.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »
Hi all

Assuming the diagram in the original post is correct, wouldn't it be possible to substitute a 1st finger barr? form (fingering: 1 (1) 3 2 1 4) instead of the thumb wrap? With my hand and guitar I personally find it much easier with this particular chord. Since this is MJH I assume it's fingerpicking, so the 5th strg wouldn't be an issue here?

However I don't know the song and transcription in question, so I don't know what precedes or follows the chord. It might actually dictate the use of the thumb, so excuse me if I'm off base here.

Just a thought.

Pan

edited to correct: (fingering: 1 (1) 3 2 1 4)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 08:37:21 AM by Pan »

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 10:07:00 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back...I believe that I have the diagram right but I don't have the tab right here in front of me...I'll double check tonight and get back to you. 

The fact that this is only the second song on this DVD and it is giving me fits is frustrating but it is great to have a network of folks to talk through these problems with...it is one of my favorite MJH songs so I want to nail it.

thanks again
Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 06:18:33 AM »
You're right DJ I have everything moved down 1 fret too far and it is the 6th fret on the second string...sorry for the confusion...I created that diagram really quick at work ....sssshhhhh.... ;).....without the tab in front of me...sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

Blue
Blue in VT

rpg51

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 06:03:57 AM »
Hey Blue in Vt - I am pretty new at this stuff but am working on MJH stuff now myself so thought I might chime in.  I am not familiar with this particular tune but I have noticed that in a lot of the MJH stuff there are fingerings that seem impossible to me at first but as I work through the piece there is oftentimes a way to solve the problem by removing  fingers that are not necessary and either replacing them immediately after sounding the difficult string/fingering or quite frequently moving to the next chord position in the progression.  But, alas, sometimes it just requires a week of daily work to learn a new stretch.

I'm in the wrj area - and you?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 07:01:30 AM by rpg51 »

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 10:11:14 AM »
Thanks for the help all...I'm definatly trying the alternate fingering suggested by John M and Uncle Bud and it seems to be working out so far...I've been distracted by E. Cotten's Freight train for the last few days so I'm just now getting back to it.

rpg 51: I'm in Vergennes

thanks all

Blue in VT
Blue in VT

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal