collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't got nobody here but me and myself. If I had my right mind I'd stay drunk all the time - Charlie Patton, Shake It And Break It

Author Topic: New book released: "East Coast Fingerstyle Blues"  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
New book released: "East Coast Fingerstyle Blues"
« on: April 25, 2019, 03:01:38 PM »
Hi all,
Stefan Grossman just announced today the release of my new book, "East Coast Fingerstyle Blues", an anthology of transcriptions of East Coast Blues recorded by a variety of players recorded between the mid-20s and the '70s.  There are 25 songs in the book, with transcriptions in TAB and standard notation, all the lyrics transcribed, playing tips, and short bios of all of the players, as well as a host of terrific photos from Stefan's archive.  Here is the tune list for the book:  PEG LEG HOWELL Walking Blues LUKE JORDAN Cocaine Blues, If I Call You Mama WILLIAM MOORE Barbershop Rag, Ragtime Millionaire BLIND BLAKE Hard Road Blues BLIND WILLIE McTELL Writin' Paper Blues, Drive Away Blues, Stomp Down Rider CARL MARTIN Old Time Blues BUDDY MOSS Unkind Woman, Some Lonesome Day, Too Doggone Jealous, Baby, You're the One For Me BLIND BOY FULLER I Crave My Pigmeat. Mamie, Walking My Troubles Away, Worn Out Engine FLOYD COUNCIL Runaway Man Blues VIRGIL CHILDERS Dago Blues SONNY JONES Dough Roller GABRIEL BROWN Going My Way RALPH WILLIS Just A Note WILLIE TRICE Good Time Boogie HENRY JOHNSON Crow Jane.  To find out more about the book or purchase it, go to:  http://www.guitarvideos.com/Styles/Blues/east-coast-fingerstyle-blues#.XMItjaZlDVp .
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: New book released: "East Coast Fingerstyle Blues"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, John. It looks like a great selection of songs. I'm sure that it will be worth every penny--and then some.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 04:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the good words, Stuart.  I'm really glad to have an opportunity to feature the songs of great but relatively unknown players like Gabriel Brown, Sonny Jones, Virgil Childers, Ralph Willis and Willie Trice, as well as heavy hitters like Willie McTell, Blind Boy Fuller, and perhaps especially Buddy Moss.  So much great music came out of this region in the period covered by the book.  There could be two or three more books covering the same region in the same period, with no duplication of the artists presented, that would be equally as strong musically as the songs selected for this book.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:21:09 PM by Johnm »

Offline joe paul

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:44:32 AM »
Great! I'd been wondering when this was due.
Just listening to the songs now, some are old friends, some I'm discovering for the first time and I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun getting to know them. Cool photos too.
Thanks for this John!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 04:37:53 AM »
Thanks John, looks like another winner. I remember a discussion on Weenie and other sites on the guitar player that's on the front cover.

Offline eric

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 08:53:18 AM »
Some great tunes there, John.  I would just add if there's anyone on this board who hasn't availed themselves of John's instruction, you should try it.  I don't know of anyone else who can drill down into the details of this music *and* has the gift for teaching it like John does.
--
Eric

Offline Old Man Ned

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
I've just downloaded this book and would thoroughly recommend it. If, like me, you are really into the East Coast guitar players, this book really is a must. I've had half baked arrangements to some of these tunes so it's really good to get the finer detail on them.

Thanks John,
All the best Ned

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 06:44:30 AM »
Thanks, Gordon, Harry, Eric and Laurence for good words and encouragement on the book.  I'm hoping that the pretty detailed playing tips that precede each transcription in the book will go a long way towards clarifying fingerings in the left hand and also preparation in the left hand, two important aspects of putting a song together which neither TAB nor standard notation alone is able to communicate.  Both notational systems make it look as though each note just sort of magically arrives at the rhythmic point at which the song calls for it, but if you played that way, you would always be late in the left hand.  Preparation in the left hand is what makes playing the pieces possible.  And of course, listening to the original recordings a lot is essential.  Good luck with the songs! 
All best,
Johnm

Tags: John Miller 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal