collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm just tippin' in... Oh yes baby, don't walk too hard. I've 'n got lonesome here, I need me someone to consolate my mind. I'm a lonesome man, God knows I ain't never satisfied - Robert Pete Williams, Just Tippin' In

Author Topic: Oatmeal anyone?  (Read 5166 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Oatmeal anyone?
« on: June 22, 2004, 02:15:31 PM »
So, I'm going to be joining the Weenie Campbell enclave this year, and I hope to contribute my BarBQ skills to the excellence of the experience for all (discussion of which, perhaps, needs it's own thread started?). I know that in the past the idea is that folks are on their own for breakfast. Due to my Scotish/Irish heritage, and also due to a recent physical, I eat oatmeal every morn. Having watched the steady flow of birthdays in the mid 50s on the Weenie calendar, I thought some of you other guys might be interested. It's just as easy to make 12 servings as it is 1 except for the time it takes to boil the water. I'll make organic steel cut oats, and supply a variety of dried fruits (mostly organic, no sulfur) and nuts, a pinch of cinnimon, and, say, 2% milk. I haven't done the math, but I imagine it would probably be about a buck, buck-fifty per serving, maybe less, but I won't skimp on quality of materials that I put in my body. It would be good if I had a fair idea of how many Weenies (and possible faculty guests) would be interested so that I could buy oats and stuff in bulk at my local natural foods market and Trader Joe's (I'll be driving up). Let me know, either here or email, if you're interested.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
Re: Oatmeal anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 05:20:16 PM »
As one of the more senior members of the "over the hill gang", I will ask that you please count me in. You are man after my own heart ( pardon the cholesterol pun), especially with the fruit and cinnamon. A glass of grapefruit juice, and two cups of excellent coffee to wash down the fibre supplement should put us all in good form to seize on the day. With or without a hangover. However, I reserve the right to partake of bacon and eggs at least a couple of times.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 05:50:01 PM »
Count me in John - I'll bring the salsa!

^-^

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »
I'd be into it as a part of the morning feed for a few days, without nuts, and very minor amounts of milk. (This thread is not very bluesy.  :D )

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 08:15:31 AM »
There is a Cape Breton fiddler who told me about a certain breakfast they have up there - I can't remember what it's called, but it has a really cool name (you Canadians, please help me on this) - you take some oats, pour in some cream, and add a healthy dollop of whisky. I've been trying it all winter, and I almost have the proportions right. If this is the kind of "oatmeal" you're talking about, count me in. (are we getting more bluesy?)

Peter 

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 10:54:00 AM »
Well, I just might have a bottle of Black Bush in my mess. That might drive the cost up a bit, so maybe I'll bring a bottle of regular Bushmill's for "cookin'" whiskey.
Peter, any way to get this message out to any likely faculty breakfast guests? Just so's I could get a ballpark figure. Then, of course, I'll double it.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Peter McCracken

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 02:25:03 PM »
Well, I guess I won't be asking this - what we're really trying to do this year in a more intentional way is get the faculty out of their houses and into general circulation. We've asked everyone on staff to try the new dining hall, so in theory the faculty will be eating there. And we've scheduled some "classes" at night - more like, just playing. The theme is HOUSE PARTY - we're calling 204 the Big House. This is Phil's vision, and I'm totally with him. We've thought alot about what it would take to make it a "house," and our conclusiion is: a kitchen, and a bar. We're pretty challenged in the implementation of these, because of Fort Worden restrictions, but that's what we're going for.

So, to answer your question, John, I'm not going to ask them about oatmeal and such. But I need to say to you all, and to weenies throughout the history of time, that the food and social nourishment provided to our honored guests is so very valuable and essential, and I and many others are eternally and sincerely and deeply grateful. It's just that in light of Phil's and my desire to get the faculty into the Big House and playing, we can't really promote it.

Make sense?

Peter

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 10:55:12 PM »
Peter:

Everything you said makes sense. What's come over you? Your recipe for power-meal is obviously having beneficial effects! If it came from Cape Breton, the recipe would call for either rye or scotch - none of that Irish stuff. But you can certainly wash the sticky goo down with Irish Coffee - nature's only perfect dish, containing all four essential food groups: caffiene, alcohol, sugar, and fat (in the whipping cream).

Seriously, I think that the number of 'jamming' groups, leadership to get them going (and keep them going), and diversity in the types of music being played has come down several notches from when I first started coming to Port Townsend ten years ago (when I was still young). One of the most enjoyable nights I can recall was spent in the 'care' of Darren Loucas and Sean Divine. They weren't trying to show anyone how 'hot' they were - instead, they would take turns singing and engaging relative newcomers like me to take a solo turn. And they made it easy by letting us know the key and the progression for any songs that weren't immediately famliar. Grant also sat in. It was like stepping up to a new level for me. The previous year, I can remember being taken aside by Flip Briskin (sp?) - she spent a half hour explaining things that she had seem me struggling with. She also 'gently' introduced me to the 'rules' for participating in a jam.? I think there is much that Weenies can do, both individually and collectively, to help make the Centrum experience better for at least some of the other attendees. Provided you can just get them away for their food and liquor for an hour or two!

As you know, the Weenies tend to make their own good time, but hopefully, we all feel some obligation to pass our knowledge of this music on to new folks who are just beginning to learn about and experience the blues. Your objective of getting faculty out in the evenings is excellent. It depends on the indiviedual, but I can visualize a loosely structured, poorly focussed, by-request learning opportunity in the early part of the evening (e.g. "Steve - could you please show me how you play Shotgun Blues? ....... Or would you prefer that I just send my request by mail?"). This could also lead to some serious proto-blues or neo-blues partying later, perhaps even the same evening (e.g. "Lightinin' - do you know any Louvin Brothers tunes that Steve _doesn't_ know?"). So I wish you lots of luck in implementing your theme.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 09:36:08 PM by waxwing »
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 10:16:52 AM »
Sir John Cowan: Oats is good! I fancy mine without dried fruit, with some brown sugar and lowfat milk. Might I suggest that the delicious oats be prepared "naked",  keep the fruit and nuts, sugar and milk in small containers to the side for interested eaters to garnish their bowls withal? Count me in. Yum...

I can see it now: we walk at 7, to town, have a latte, walk back, munch our oats, whinny appreciatively, flick our tails right and left, pick up our guitars and mandolins, walk to our morning classes...sounds good to me! ;D

Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 01:15:54 PM »
That was the plan, Miller, re: oats that is. I don't use any sugars besides what's in the fruits so I'll add that to the shopping list. I'm still hopin' we can get the Java Gypsy's to park by the Weenie House if they've been supplanted by the coffee shop in the new dining hall. But I do have my stove top espresso maker for emergencies.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Blue Poodle

• Kill it, Kid.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 03:19:33 PM »
Oatmeal sounds good to me.
All the world loves a lover, but a lover doesn't always love love.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 02:55:00 AM »
I must say that having your oats US style has an entirely different connotation to having your oates GB style?? ;D

How many are there attending PT altogether?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 09:37:32 PM by waxwing »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline jed

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 02:17:23 PM »
What is that saying - @you can't have your oats and feel them too@...

Looks like about 125-250 so far, should increase logarithmically as the Time Nears.
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline jed

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 03:03:59 PM »
Oops - that was 125-150.

ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline Janmarie

• www.janmarieartworks.com
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 12:47:59 PM »
If my digs are anywhere near yours I'm up for the oatmeal. I'll bring berry yogurt to top my oatmeal - yum!
See you all Monday, Aug 2!
Jan

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal