collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
One night an obscure Mississippi country boy showed up... and he impressed Mr. Wright with his politeness and showmanship. "He always had a motion, you know" - Early Wright, WROX Clarkdale DJ on Elvis

Author Topic: High water everywhere part 1 and 2 reversed  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: High water everywhere part 1 and 2 reversed
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 08:06:02 AM »
Does anyone here know when the Tallahatchie flood, that is also featured in Mattie Delaneys song, occurred ?

I consulted John M. Barry's book, Rising Tide - The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How it Changed America, which I highly recommend, it's an amazing book on many levels. But it does not have that specific information, so far as I could find.

But ... when the levee at Mounds Landing breeched on April 21st 1927, the resulting flood extended at least 50 miles to the east, some accounts say 69 miles. That is far enough to reach the Tallahatchie river. So one could reasonably assume it was on, or shortly after, the 21st April.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:20:19 AM by Rivers »

Offline eric

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 08:20:44 AM »
I second River's recommendation. Excellent book.
--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
Speaking from a musical point of view, I'm so thankful that two takes were released, and that they differed so much with regard to tempo and energy. I feel much the same about "High Water Everywhere, Parts 1 and 2" as I do about Garfield Akers' and Joe Callicott's "Cottonfields, Parts 1 and 2". In both instances, I find Part 1 amazing, but Part 2 just magical and kind of miraculous. The beautiful thing about making music like that is that if it's not already in you, you can't buy the ability to do it--it really is a gift, helped along by a great deal of work and getting in touch with what you want to hear and how to make it manifest.

Tags: floods 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal