collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The future ain't what it used to be - Yogi Berra

Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix Books  (Read 1406 times)

Offline doctorpep

Jimi Hendrix Books
« on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
I'm running out of Blues biographies to read. I think I'll try a Hendrix one. Is there a non-nauseating one? Do tell.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Jimi Hendrix Books
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:36:36 AM »
I'm running out of Blues biographies to read. I think I'll try a Hendrix one. Is there a non-nauseating one? Do tell.
Which "nauseating" ones have you read?

I was given Charles Shaar Murray's Crosstown Traffic in 1989. I wouldn't term it nauseating, more a case of off the wall. Depends on whether or not one is tuned in to his 70s journalistic prose. To give CSM his due, he's one hell of a knowledgeable blues fan.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:30 AM »
I read "A room full of mirrors, a biography of Jimi Hendrix". good book, but I don't how it compares to the other jimi bio's. there's an account in it of jimi in bed with man and a woman.

One of the best and interesting blues bio's I've read is "Michael Bloomfield, If you love these blues". fantastic book with tons of great stories especially the one were Mike Bloomfield and Big Joe williams visits forgotten musicians like Tampa Red and Jazz Gillum.

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 07:56:05 AM »
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." Frank Zappa.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
I have one titled:

Jimi Hendrix: Electric Gypsy by Harry Shapiro and Caesar Glebeek that I really liked.

Alex

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »
Thanks for the information, guys. I used the word "nauseating" because I do not want to read the typical stuff about how SRV is a reincarnation of Hendrix, who is actually Robert Johnson. Sadly, there are many websites and magazines like this. I guess books would have to be more reputable.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/books/review/Kirby-t.html?hp

Check out the slide show that accompanies the book review.

L

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal