collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Any y'all wanna come to my home and learn how to play guitar - don't be scared o' your money, come on honey. I ain't gonna kill you - Rev. Gary Davis, in concert

Author Topic: Alberta Hunter reminisces in 1981  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Chris A

Alberta Hunter reminisces in 1981
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
I have posted two audio files of Alberta Hunter and her old and very close friend, Harry Watkins reminiscing in 1981. We were filming material for a documentary, "My Castle's Rockin'", which I eventually wrote and Billy Taylor narrated.

Nothing earthshaking, but I hope you enjoy.

This will take you there.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Alberta Hunter reminisces in 1981
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:09 PM »
Had the pleasure of seeing her in her second coming at a restaurant-club on University Place & 8th st., which may or maynot have been the site of the old cafe society. She was wonderful, sprightly, magical really.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Chris A

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »

I have posted more audio of Alberta Hunter (December 1981). She talks about herself, her outlook on life, her travels, etc. The post also contains a couple of excerpted examples of the sophisticated Alberta who sang at London's Dorchester Hotel in 1934, and "Black Shadows," her big production number from the British film, Radio Parade of 1935.

Next week, I will post a follow-up with Barney Josephson (who owned The Cookery), taped that same afternoon.

Here is a direct link: http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2011/04/talking-at-cookery.html 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
Thanks again for these, Chris!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »
Thanks Chris. Now I see that Barney Josephson was the Cafe Society connection. Cafe Society was in a different location altogether than the Cookery however. I'm not sure that the building the Cookery was in even existed in 1938.
I grew up on stories my parents told of the acts at Cafe Society.  Jimmy Savo pantomiming "River stay away from my Door" & Josh White singing "The Girl with the Delicate Aire" emerged as special favorites. Oh and Billie Holiday singing "Strange Fruit" of course.

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Chris A

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
The story continues....

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal