collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well you is one black rat, someday I'll find your trail. Yes I'll hide my shoe somewhere near your shirt tail - Memphis Minnie Lawlers, & Ernest Lawlers, You Is One Black Rat

Author Topic: Shaggy Hound Blues - Shirley Griffith  (Read 1086 times)

bayrum78

Shaggy Hound Blues - Shirley Griffith
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
 a HUGE thanks goes to Frankie who provided me with .mp3's of the Shirley Griffith material. You're the best!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Shaggy Hound Blues - Shirley Griffith
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »
Love the slide  on the sixth string and the classy ending. Great stuff.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:28 AM »
Yeah, that slide bit sure is a fun change-up after the trancey E stuff. Sounds great, love the rawness, and like River Line, this is such a great song.

bayrum78

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys! I like the breakout slide part also and think the classy ending decription is spot on -  he was indeed an elegant player.

Going into the song I naively thought because it was basically a 1st position E and A chord song it wouldn't take me very long to work it out - boy was I wrong! Besides the chords, everything about this song to me is hard here is a partial list: the rhythms of the E chord are difficult to play let alone sing, ditto the A chord arpeggio. The vocal intervals are unfamiliar and hard to hit. The sliding part has odd timing that I landed only after counting the slides  and associating the start of the slide with specific words in the verse. Although I think I play the same chord progression he does at the end, in order to not break time, I had to shorten it by a couple beats leaving out the 6th string walk he does before playing those "classy" breakout chords at the end of the song. I never did nail the turnaround.  What I ended up with (to my chagrin) is really more of an impression than a cover.  My favorite blues tend to be the harmonically simple and rhythmically complex songs. This one fits that bill and certainly stretched me to my limits.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal