collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We knows nothing much about the blues... we called it blues, we called it breakdowns, we called it blues and some people say it's square dances... We didn't know what it was; the achin'-hearted blues is slow, breakdowns is fast - Percy Thomas, who played in the Son Simms Four with Muddy Waters, interviewed by Paul Oliver, from Blues Off The Record

Author Topic: Apitt Blake  (Read 1332 times)

Offline andypitt

Apitt Blake
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »
Here's another- It's my stab at a Blakish type thing
Andy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Andy
If you don't believe I'm leavin', you can count the days I'm gone!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Apitt Blake
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:40:08 AM »
Fantastic picking, Andy - now post a video so that we see how you do it without your fingers leaving your hands!

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
Song choice and tone makes me guess you are a fan of Ari Eisenger?  

Whether thats the case or not- i've not heard many people get close to doing those songs as well as he does- and you are darned close!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:23:08 PM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »
Wow! That was awesome! I really liked your singing and playing on the Josh White number as well. Keep them coming.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:36:10 PM »
Great work Andy! I suspected you'd find a receptive audience here in Weenieville.
What's your recording setup and guitar. The sound is first rate.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:50:08 AM »
I'm lost for words. Lovely playing - technically excellent, yet still managing to really rock. Great feel.  Just got to restrain myself from burning my guitars...
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline andypitt

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:28:30 AM »
Hello Mr. OMuck & others interested.
I recorded the tunes posted at home using a computer based recording program. It was about 2-3 years ago so I don't remember which guitars I used. I'm pretty sure I used a 40's Kay for In My time of Dyin tuned to an open C. For the Blake piece, I think it was my 30's Gibson LOO . For St. Thomas - possibly a short scale Collings OM18. I no longer have the Collings and recently gave my Kay to Andy Cohen (if you don't know of him, he is a fantastic player/performer. A national treasure in fact.
Guitars I have now : LOO; a 1957 Martin D18 (I chose it instead of a Bar Mitzvah in the early 60's); A  wonderful Gibson B25 retopped by Pete Langdell It's a killer ; A J45 style by Pete Langdell. It has beautiful maple back and sides. I'm trying to cut down on guitars. I never know which to play. I'm gonna sell the B25 (nice full neck) and the Langdell J45. I love them but will still have the LOO and D18.
I probably used an SM 57 & 58 for mics.
Andy

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »
Andy, was there a preamp for the mics. If so which one? And do you remember the name of the program?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline andypitt

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
I use a Mac computer with a program called Digital Performer. I plug the mics into a Mackie mixer which goes into a MOTU analog to digital
converter and into the Mac. The positioning of the mics  on the guitar is so impirtant for a decent sound.
Now there are so many relatively inexpensive ways to record into a computer and get quality results. I'm not very well versed in the technology that is out there but I know it exists. Let's talk and I can fill ya in with what I know.
andy
Andy

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal