collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The artist that you're listening to or are in love with, they were usually listening to three or four people within the framework of the style they were in. What you're essentially tryin' to do is play every giant of country blues's music as well as them, every song, in every style. Impossible! Give it up! - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 97

Author Topic: Even vs. natural temperament in cgcgce  (Read 1179 times)

Offline jrn

Even vs. natural temperament in cgcgce
« on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
Hi everybody

I've been playing in open c a lot lately. While surfing around today I came across this info on cgcgce. I found it at guys site by the name of Dan Evans.

"open C guitar tuning CGCGCE
Dan?s principal guitar tuning is Open C.
Rather than the even temperament of a chromatic tuner, Dan tunes his guitar using a natural temperament. The result is a powerful sound with sweet, natural intonation.
The combination of Open C tuning and natural temperament give Dan?s guitar a beautifully resonant sustaining sound."

Can anybody help me understand this? I've gat a basic understanding of even temperament. I also know that c-g is a perfect fifth. Past that I'm kinda lost. I've got the clear tune chromatic tuner app on my phone. It's got a ton of different temperament options, just not sure which one to use to achieve this.

Would this really make much of a difference in the sound of the guitar? I'm curious to try.

Thanks, Jason

Quitman, Mississippi

Offline jrn

Re: Even vs. natural temperament in cgcgce
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
Hello

Out of curiousity I contacted Mr. Evans. This is how he described it........

How I tune my guitars to Open C tuning CGCGCE

"To tune to CGCGCE, I use a G tuning fork to tune the 3rd/G string by playing the 12th fret harmonic on the string and holding the tuning fork near to my ear ? I listen for the beats and when they subside, the G string is in tune. I always tune up to the note to ensure that there is no slack at the machine head.

Then the 4th/C string is tuned by matching it?s 7th fret harmonic to the 12th fret harmonic of the 3rd/G, similarly the 6th /C string and the 2nd/C string.  The 5th/G string is tuned by matching it with the 3rd string, both at the 12th fret. Lastly, the top E is tuned by fretting it at the 3rd fret and matching it with to the 12th fret harmonic of the 3rd/G.

I generally flatten the top E, as it sounds sweeter and I may make allowances for how hard the bottom C will be played by flattening it a little.

I then check for any rogue resonances by playing all the strings open but with the top E fretted at the 3rd fret and letting the chord sustain a while ? it should sound rich and sparking without any pulses."

This is pretty much what I was already doing. I'd just never heard it referred to as natural temperament.

Jason

Quitman, Mississippi

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal