collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Dorothy Love Coats and the Harmonettes... if they don't shake your shifter you are out of phase - Dewey R. Anich, on the list

Author Topic: Carolina Chocolate Drops  (Read 7240 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Carolina Chocolate Drops
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
Re: Carolina Chocolate Drops
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »
We went to Rochester, MN on Saturday to hear the Chocolate Drops, and they were astoundingly good. (The last time we saw them, Rhiannon was about 8 mos preggers, and her daughter is now 9 months old). they have not been wasting their time -- lots of new material, much of it very good. Especially impressive is Dom's four-string banjo playing (I think it might have been a plectrum banjo rather than a tenor, although he played it with finger picks, and I couldn't make out from his left-hand work what the tuning was). And his Uncle Dave antics help a lot.

Too many of us, when we appear in public, spend the entire time on stage studying our shoes, so it was a marvelous experience to witness both respect for tradition and showmanship.

The sound was not very good, but that wasn't CCD's fault. I bought their new CD, "Authentic Negro Jig," and it's very well recorded -- the sound is excellent.

Lyle

Tags: string bands 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal