collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I asked Son House to listen to a particular line from a song by Charley Patton that I could not make out, House laughed. He said "You could sit at Charley's feet and not understand a word he sang." - Jeff Todd Titon, Early Downhome Blues

Author Topic: Frank Hutchison's Burial Site?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Frank Hutchison's Burial Site?
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »
One of the members of another group asked about the location of Frank Hutchison's burial site. He's planning a trip next spring and would like to visit it. Does anyone have any info that I can pass along?

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
Re: Frank Hutchison's Burial Site?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »
At least one source I found says he's buried in Logan, W. Va. Many years ago, Mike Seeger told us he'd once visited Hutchison's grave, but felt very uncomfortable in the town (he didn't say why it made him feel uncomfortable), and he didn't stay long. I can't remember where he said the grave was, although I remember it was in W. Va.

Lyle

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
Tony Russell's Country Music Originals has Hutchison dying of liver cancer in Ohio in 1945, but has nothing about a burial site.

edited to add: adding a Frank Hutchison tag to this topic revealed an earlier topic where the following obituary was found:
This is from the Dayton Daily News, Nov. 10, 1945.

Frank Hutchison, 47, 19 Malcom Drive, died at 3 a.m. Friday at St. Elizabeth Hospital. He had been ill seven weeks.
He was born in Beckley, W.Va. and had resided in Dayton for three years.
Surviving are his widow, Minnie, two daughters, Mrs. Louise Boster and Miss Katheleen Hutchison, both of Dayton, his mother, Mrs. R.E. Deskins of Waverly, Ohio; six sisters, Mrs. Roy Kirk of Logan, W.Va.; Mrs. Floyd Bockwith, Mrs. James Manbevers and Mrs. Parker Whaley all of Waverly, Ohio, Mrs. Jack Bethe of Toldeo and Mrs. Louis Wagner of Buffalo, N.Y. and three brothers, B.M. Deskins of Columbus and Woodrow and Paul Deskine, both of Waverly.
 Funeral services and burial will be held at Logan, W.Va.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:46:22 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:57:37 PM »
Lyle and Andrew: Thanks for the information. I'll pass it along. Hopefully it will provide a lead or two and narrow the search area. The person who originally posted the question seemed to be under the impresson that since Frank Hutchison died in Ohio, he was buried there, so this helps a lot.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:39:09 PM »
Mary Katherine Alden posted the following to the PWBG:

"Gloria Raheja has done a lot of work on Hutchinson's life, times, and family so would probably know."

Gloria Raheja is a professor of Anthropology at the University of Minnesota. Here's the links to her pages:

http://anthropology.umn.edu/people/profile.php?UID=raheja

https://apps.cla.umn.edu/directory/profiles/raheja

As you can see, she's currently working on, "Logan County Blues: Frank Hutchison in the Sonic Landscape of the Appalachian Coalfields," and under "Creative Activities" it lists:

"Co-producer and author of liner notes: CD containing new recordings of the music of Frank Hutchison, a 1920s Appalachian coal miner and musician"

So it looks like there's a book on Frank Hutchison under way and a CD to check out.

Offline eustacie

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 02:29:39 PM »
Gloria Raheja is indeed the primary expert on the life and music of Frank Hutchison.

Frank filed a delayed birth certificate, and you will find it in the WV archives under the name Willis Franklin Hutchinson (note the spelling: Frank's family spelled the name Hutchinson but somewhere along the way Frank dropped the first 'n.')

Frank is buried at Lake, in Logan County, WV., but he did die in Dayton, Ohio.

Tags: Frank Hutchison 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal