The Unwound Third > Jam Session

an old sam chatmon picture

<< < (2/4) > >>

frankie:

--- Quote from: iplayamartin0016 on December 12, 2004, 09:49:31 AM ---1.? On this site http://www.shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/mswm/MSWritersAndMusicians/musicians/ChatmonSam.html they say "Sam was one of the few white bluesman to perform with Fingers Taylor on the Blues Caravan in the 1970's? Is this true?

--- End quote ---

I have no idea whether Sam played on the Blues Caravan in the 1970's, but it's certainly not true that Sam was white.

--- Quote from: iplayamartin0016 on December 12, 2004, 09:49:31 AM ---2.? Has anyone heard an album with Colin Linden called Sam Chatmon and his BBQ Boys

--- End quote ---

I haven't, no. ?Sam's a very fine singer & player, though. ?His tracks on I Have To Paint My Face (Arhoolie) really stand out among the other recordings on that CD.

Johnm:
Hi all,
Nice to see Sam mentioned.? He was a great musician and was a big influence on me, just seeing the way he conducted himself and lived his life.? As John D and Frank have said, Sam was definitely not white, at least not as we think of such things in the States.? His own description of his ethnic heritage was that his father was "half Irishman and half nigger", and his mother was "half white and half Choctaw".? So in a genetic make-up sense (a stupid concept), I suppose Sam was more white than anything else.? That having been said, Sam and his family were definitely perceived and treated as being black in Bolton, Mississippi where he grew up.? He did a couple of songs, "I Have to Paint My Face", that Frank alluded to, and "The Yellow Coon Has No Race", that spoke to his own complicated sense of ethnic identity.
I think Sam's music is very under-rated.? I prefer his singing to Bo's, and I'm a big fan of Bo.? Sam had a big, bright voice, just like a bell, and if you have not heard his early recording of "If You Don't Want Me Please Don't Dog Me 'Round", with his brother Lonnie on fiddle in a Sheiks-like line-up, you are in for a real treat.? He was also a nifty guitar player with some moves in dropped-D and A standard that I have not seen anyone else do (who did not cop them from him).
I have never heard the recording of Sam with Colin Linden that Iplayamartin0016 asks about, but Ari Eisinger has always spoken very highly of Colin's musicianship, so it may be really good.
All best,
Johnm? ?

iplayamartin0016:
Thanks for clearing that up John.  I'm on the lookout for that album as it has been out of print for a long time.  If I find it I'll pass along a copy t o you.

iplayamartin0016:
I just got this email from Colin Linden:

Thanks Randall.  I'm trying to convince True North Records (my new
label) to re-release it on CD.  Hopefully, it'll work.  Currently, it's
only available on vinyl- as a remainder on Flying Fish Records.

I'll be the first one to buy it if it comes out!!!

GhostRider:
John:

Ohmygod, If you aren't familiar with (Canadian) Colin Linden, you've really missed a treat. One of the best acoustic blues players alive today. Fantastic slide player, super recording producer, unbelievable all round musician.

Alex

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version