collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Fourteen Black Pattis, the most ever found in a single place, now sat in a neat stack in front of Joe Bussard. "Some man gave 'em to my sister back in 1927," the old man was explaining. "We played 'em once, but we don't care much for blues and such, so we packed 'em away and they've been there ever since - Joe Bussard, story by Eddie Dean, washingtoncitypaper.com

Author Topic: Ashley Thompson Interview 1973  (Read 1839 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Ashley Thompson Interview 1973
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »
"Interview with Ashley Thompson, 27 October 1973, Ripley, Tennessee, by Margaret McKee and Fred Chisenhall, Oral History Collection, Beale Black and Blue, transcripts, Memphis Public Library."

I met Tony Thomas at the Banjo Collector's Gathering in Nashville this past November.  He is researching a book on Gus Cannon and black banjo styles, and gave a presentation on this topic at the Gathering.  Tony came to Memphis after the Nashville weekend and was hoping to get to the Memphis Public Library to do some research.  He ran out of time and asked me to track the above interview down, which I scanned as a PDF document last night.  I was hoping to attache the PDF to this post, but I can't find a way to do it.  If anybody wants a copy, send me your email address and I will send it to you.  The interview runs 41 pages, no photos, so this is a much smaller file than the Memphis Jug Bands book I scanned a while back that was too large to email.  This one come in at just under 3 megs, so email is no problem.

Edited to add:

Ashley Thompson was a guitarist and vocalist with Cannon's Jug Stomers on 8 (?) of their recorded sides.  He grew up with Noah Lewis near Ripley, Tennessee.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:10:07 AM by DanceGypsy »

Offline jostber

Re: Ashley Thompson Interview 1973
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »
To attach files, choose Reply and then Additional Options. From there you can attach a pdf.

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
No go - I guess just shy of 3 megs is still to large to upload here.  Email it is, let me know if anybody is interested.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »
Get it. It's fascinating. Thanks Christian

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
PM sent.
You can´t trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline luka.renic

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:43:25 AM »
Hello everybody..

I know that this is a bit older post,but I would really appreciate if someone would send me this.

Thanks!

Offline annegarner

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:12:27 AM »
Hello--

I'm a grad student studying the blues..Came here because I'm researching Gus Cannon and I noticed that you have an interview with Tom Ashley and offered to email it to interested parties. I'd really appreciate it if that's something you could do!  I'm annegarner at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance!
Anne

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 09:50:51 AM »
Hi Anne,
Ashley Thompson and Tom Ashley are two different people. Tom Ashley was also known as Clarence Ashley, recorded with the Carolina Tar Heels and had no connection to the Gus Cannon.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:11:34 AM by Johnm »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 10:02:44 AM »
If no one here has the scan in PDF, you should request a copy through your institution's Inter Library Loan service. Usually they will request the institution with a copy in its holdings to scan it and send it to your home institution. It's standard operating procedure.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »
Hello--

I'm a grad student studying the blues..

Hi Anne,

Study the blues at what institution/program if I may ask?

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 01:51:05 PM »
Hi Anne,

If you click on the original poster's name on any post (while you are logged in) it will take you to info about GypsyDancer. If you click on the envelope icon just below their name you can send an email directly to request a PDF of the interview with Ashley Thompson, who did play in Gus Cannon's Jug Stompers. Hopefully GypsyDancer hasn't changed their email since joining WC. Their band seems currently very active.

Wax
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:56:57 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline zoner

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 10:18:02 AM »
Did anything ever come of the research into Gus Cannon’s playing style?  I’d love to read that…one of my top musicians os all time!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »
Hi zoner,

If you click on the tag for 'Gus Cannon' below (not 'Gus Cannon's Jug Stompers') you should see post titled 'Banjo Collectors Gathering 2010' (also posted by GypsyDancer) that gives some good info from a presentation about Gus also referring to the book. You may have seen this already as I see you posted a question about Gus in 2008.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal