collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
More bass - Response from Jerry Wexler, producer of hits by Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett and Bob Dylan among others, when asked what he would like to have written on his tombstone

Author Topic: Woody Mann R.I.P.  (Read 1015 times)

Offline MarkC

Woody Mann R.I.P.
« on: January 28, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »
I saw on another forum that Mary Flower posted on Facebook that Woody died. Can anyone confirm that? I’m not on Facebook. I’m hoping it’s not true.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:43:06 AM by MarkC »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Woody Mann
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 11:24:08 AM »
Very tragic news, which sadly appears to be true.

Offline MarkC

Re: Woody Mann
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 11:42:30 AM »
Stefan Grossman posted it on his website, along with a statement from Woody’s wife.

So sad. He was a very special person.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Woody Mann R.I.P.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »
I am very saddened to hear this. What a gentle and encouraging teacher he was. I took a workshop with Woody and Mary Flowers, oh, back in the mid 00s, and it was a treat. When I ran into him at an event years later he called me the Scrapper Blackwell Guy (I wish). This is a loss to the community, CB as well as Jazz.

Wax
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:51:41 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 02:02:36 PM »
Very sorry I never got the chance to meet him – his book Six Black/Early Blues Guitarists was a big help to me as I was learning.
Chris

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 04:33:07 PM »
Very sorry I never got the chance to meet him – his book Six Black/Early Blues Guitarists was a big help to me as I was learning.
Chris
Ditto on that book. I did get the chance to meet Woody, at the first Port Townsend Blues workshop. I cannot recall what I learned from him at that event, though. I remember picking his brain a little about some Rev. G Davis tune I was trying to suss out on my own. I don't even remember what tune, but that I had the tricky section all wrong. I remember us commiserating about playing sports, baseball for him (or softball probably) basketball for me, and the dangers to our fingers therein.
Very nice guy. RIP, Woody.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 05:38:20 PM »
Very sad news indeed. I never met Woody or had a chance to see him perform. Like many, I learned of him back in the 70s from his book, notes, and Blue Goose and Kicking Mule records that he was on. Later when I had more time, I enjoyed his albums, videos, books and the film he did. He will be missed, that's for certain. He made the musical world a richer place.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 07:54:29 PM »
RIP Woody, who will remain an important player that got us all to where we are today.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 10:27:03 PM »
Condolences to Woody's family and loved ones. He was an excellent player, an encouraging teacher and generous colleague.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 02:44:06 AM »
Like some other posters here, I never met him in person, but always felt that in a strange kind of way I knew him. I also first heard his work back in the early 70s - or was it the late 60s? A great loss to our community and the world in general.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Scott Jacobs

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 06:19:00 AM »
If it wasn't for Woody Mann, I probably wouldn't have met my wife or other fine folks within this community like Waxwing.  I feel really lucky that I got to meet up with Woody and his new wife, Valerie, for dinner and a concert featuring Jacob Jolliff and Michael Daves on my last trip to NYC.

Keep singing, playing, and writing music.  We only get so many trips around the Sun.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 01:27:53 PM »
Sad news indeed.

Offline benedwards

• Howdy!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 05:55:25 AM »
Very sorry to hear this
I attended Lasse Johanssons guitarcamp in Hungary twice where he was one of the teachers. Lasse and Mike Dowling the others.
Great time and Woody tought me a lot. But he was not to happy to be assosiated with John Fahey( who by then was a favorite of mine.)
I often play Woodys Hudson River Blues.
Bengt in Gothenburg Sweden

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal