collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"You say a white boy can't know the blues. During the Depression I'd sleep in ditches and know if I died that night no one would know what I was or where I come from" - Harmonica Frank Floyd, from Colin Escott and Martin Hawkins' Good Rocking Tonight: Sun Records and the Birth of Rock & Roll.

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222626 times)

Offline MarkC

Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2006, 08:08:06 AM »
Hi --

I just registered the other day. Great site! I've been a country blues fan/picker for a long time (just turned 49 last month). Can't seem to get the Juke Radio on my work PC as of yet, but I'll keep working on it.

-- Mark C.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2006, 08:15:35 AM »
Welcome Mark! What software are you using to try to listen to the Juke?

Offline MarkC

« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2006, 01:04:08 PM »
Uncle Bud --

I'm using Windows Media Player. It looks like I'll have to check with our IT group, they've got it set up so I can't modify the proxy settings.

Odd Senex

« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2006, 11:49:10 PM »
Hello All,

I've just discovered this website via the Woodshed; thanks for that Gerry! I'm 19 and from the UK, currently Kent. I missed my grades to go to university to study politics and philosophy (one mark... still slightly bitter and twisted) and so am on an impromtu gap year. I've changed course direction (I'll be doing English Lit. in September) and I decided to do something vaguely useful in the meantime, so I enrolled on a bunch of OU courses on creative writing and told myself I'd learn guitar. As such I've only been playing the guitar for approx. 9 months, at first I just borrowed my grandma's nylon string acoustic (how rock and roll is that! I've got a small collection of second-hand instruments of my own now) and taught myself all the chords, I then tried to strum along to a Simon and Garfunkel song and realised:
1) for some reason Paul Simon tunes his guitar below concert pitch
2) he wasn't strumming, he was picking the strings.
That was the first time I'd ever really come across finger-picking, and I resolved to learn how to do it, cue musical oddessy encompassing 60s British folk/blues guitarists (Davy Graham, Bert Jansch John Renbourn etc) and assorted acoustic blues artists. I'm still very much at the beginning of this musical experience, but am having a lot of fun along the way.

Loving the Jukebox Radio!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2006, 03:16:56 AM »
Well, you have found the right place for fingerpicking - stay tuned and enjoy  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2006, 08:31:10 AM »
Welcome Odd Senex!

37 Gibson

« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
I've been enjoying this site for nearly two years and have been negligent about posting here.  So, let me thank everyone for the great music and the hundreds of insightful posts.  I'm a big fan of old Gibson guitars, Roy Book Binder, and early country blues.  I live in New Hampshire and spend as much time as I can playing and learning.  Thanks again to everyone for making this such a terrific resource. 

Cliff

boots

« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2006, 02:31:42 AM »
I've been enjoying this site for nearly two years and have been negligent about posting here.

Cliff

It's wise not to rush into things.  >:D

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2006, 06:34:59 AM »
Welcome, Cliff!

Offline rlspt

« Reply #249 on: May 30, 2006, 12:00:26 AM »
another new guy here. name's laurie (scottish for larry). i'm 57, live in port townsend, lucky me. have listened to cb for 40 years, been trying to play for 20. glacial progress, but progress nonetheless. i'm scheduling my performing debut to coincide with my 100th birthday. in the meantime it's great therapy.
i've attended the pt blues workshops a couple times, will be there this year.
love this site. thanks so much for doing it. great resource.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2006, 08:18:24 AM »
Welcome, Laurie! We'll see you in Port Townsend this summer.

Triple O

« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2006, 08:56:50 AM »
Just recently found this INCREDIBLE site and have been going through alot of interesting threads.
I'm a lifetime guitar player and most recently concentrating strictly on acoustics (sold off the Les Paul).  I'm a big fan of MJH and RGD along with Alvin Youngblood Hart and Ernie Hawkins.  I live in Vermont, near Burlington, an great place for local music like Paul Asbell.

I'll be around....jb

Love the Jukebox too...

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: May 30, 2006, 09:28:44 AM »
Welcome JB!  Glad you found us....

mojohand

« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2006, 08:24:45 AM »
Hi.  I'm returning myself from a long hiatus.  Good to have you and good to be back.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2006, 08:46:14 AM »
Welcome back mojohand!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal