collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You can write the truth with the blues - Bukka White

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222637 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »
Welcome Carl!  Glad you found us!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2006, 12:39:08 PM »
Welcome Mike - glad you found us with Wax's help. ;)  That is quite a variety of styles you have going -- never a dull moment I suppose!

Here is a link to your page (I had trouble googling it):
http://www.sandbarmusic.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=44

...and this would be an electrified sample - sounds good and good luck on the award!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2006, 11:47:15 PM »
Welcome, Mike.

You'll find a lot of folks here felt like you, that they were living in a country blues desert, before they found Weenie Campbell. Pyrochlore had never played country blues with anyone else (for what, 10- 20 years, Alex?) until he came to Port Townsend after meeting us all here first. Now he's had Mary Flower playing duets with him in a house concert in his home in Calgary.

Share your passion here.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2006, 12:27:13 AM »
BJ:

About 18 yrs. but after finding Weenie Campbell it all changed.

And you PEI folks, We're all fellow Canadians.

Very glad to have you aboard.

Don't listen to Slack, he's a punk rocker now.

And agreeing with Unkie Bud is hazardeous...

Alex

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2006, 09:17:34 AM »
Welcome Cheapfeet! I'm from "away" but have spent lots of time on the Island vacationing. Beautiful place. Glad to hear there's country blues there as well. Congrats on the ECMA nomination.

You might want to take a look at the bottom of this linked message for my take on a Patton turnaround in C.
http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=83&topic=1257.msg9276#msg9276

And feel free to post a new thread with whatever questions or thoughts you have about playing Patton, Lemon or anyone else.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
Hey Mike,

As UB suggested, it would be a good idea to either start a new thread, or resurrect an old one (I thought I saw you checking out an old thread om turnarounds earlier -G-). Country Blues Licks and Lessons would be the place.

All for now.
john C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

rpg51

« Reply #231 on: March 22, 2006, 04:57:42 PM »
Hello folks, new member here.  I am 53 years old living in Vermont for the last 30 years - outside NYC before that.  Like most everyone here I love the blues, expecially - but not only - country blues.  I played folk style guitar - strumming and pattern picking as a kid and then put it down for 20 years while I raised my family.  I picked it up again about 3 years ago and I have been absolutely addicted to country blues ever since.  I am just getting to the point that I can actually play some of these tunes.  I fell in love with this stuff in my 20s while I was in grad school and one of my buddies turned me on to Roy Bookbinder.  Looks like a great forum. 

Rob.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2006, 07:40:35 PM »
Welcome Rob! -- glad you found your guitar again and Weeniecampbell!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2006, 08:15:48 AM »
Welcome Wayne!  Glad you found us!

play4Him

« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »
Hello to all !

I just joined today. I've been visiting guitar forums for awhile, but just recently visited your forum. I'm strictly an acoustic player, who plays mainly at Church & Bible Studies. I had never heard of guys like Blind Blake, MJH, Blind Lemon Jefferson, as well as others until a few years ago. My favorite has been Rev. Gary Davis.

I just really enjoy this style of music on the acoustic guitar. It's fun to listen to, and extremely fun to play. I'm not that advance, but love to play. I look forward to learning more from the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I've already been looking around some, and found some interesting reading.

Look forward to getting to know some of you better.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:48:37 PM by play4Him »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2006, 06:02:18 PM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell, Mark!
All best,
Johnm

Guitdolin

« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2006, 09:03:18 PM »
Hello y'all.  I just found this site.  I'm loving the Juke Radio, and I'm digging into the wealth of info in the forums.  I've been getting into country blues with the help of Little Brother's site recently (after 30 yrs. of playing just about everything else).  Between this forum, LB's, and Mandolin Cafe', I'll be picking guitars and mandolins in front of the computer a lot!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2006, 09:10:13 PM »
Welcome Guitdolin - glad you found us!

bigskies

« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2006, 03:25:47 PM »
Another new guy on the board, albeit old in vintage - 57.  I've been fixated on the blues since about 1965, which was a pretty good time to discover that pathway.  I occasionally make forays into Cajun and Western Swing, but blues is where I always boomerang back to.  I play harp quite well, guitar adequately enough to keep myself amused and perpetually challenged.  My main love is triathlon, and as I am a far better triathlete than I am a musician, I spend most of my time playing to my strengths and training myself to a frazzle (which is why I am perpetaully challenged by the guitar....).  I love the discipline required to become proficient at my sports as well as my instruments (there's also a mandolin in there somewhere...), but until I retire in a few years - or get seriouly injured - there's not enough hours in my life to do justice to music.  Alas and woe.

Beyond all this, I spend far too much time thinking about Garfield Akers and Geeshie Wiley.  You know?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: April 15, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »
Welcome bigskies!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal