collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sometimes these dreams, just like being awake. I saw another man eating up my chocolate cake - Emery Glen, Back Door Blues

Author Topic: Wild Water Blues  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Wild Water Blues
« on: May 15, 2005, 10:18:17 AM »
Been working on trying to approximate the sound Kokomo Arnold gets. Not note-for-note, but close-ish will do. I think this is about as close-ish as I'm going to get this afternoon!
Prof S

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Wild Water Blues
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 04:43:50 PM »
Nice work, Scratch! I especially like the vocal quality. Rich bass, and then you sorta let the bottom fall out at the end of each line. Very relaxed.

Not much Kokomo on the Juke (I listened to his Policy Wheel Blues to refresh my memory) and I'm not familiar with the original of this, but I think you've capture his "feel" really well. I imagine you're pretty accurate on the licks, too. Because you've transposed the vocal to your range so well, the emotional quality of the guitar (nice "scratchy" vibrato) and the vocal are well matched, and very expressive. A good addition to the BP.

Just curiuos, what's your set-up, guitar wise (I wish folks would include this in their posts regularly) and also recording wise. I like the recording quality. It hints at reverb to my untrained ears, but it could be just as likely that you're using a good mic (maybe a little closer to the guitar?) in a "responsive" room. Hell, a crafty ol' fox like you could be loadin' it up in a corner. Sounds good, however you're doin' it.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 05:19:15 PM »
Wow, that's a winner!  Good to hear from you again, Scrathy.  Sorry, I'm not the one to comment on how well you've captured Kokomo Arnold - just know I like it!

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 06:45:48 PM »
Outstanding PF!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 11:18:23 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments. In reply to waxwing's questions: an i-River mp3 recorder with built in microphone in an echo-ey room! I then have to re-record using TotalRecorder to get the file size down. There's a pic of the guitar used here:
http://www.weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/cpg/displayimage.php?&pos=-279

Duke

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »
Well, I downloaded it.  Gave it a listen.  Now I feel guilty.  This is something I should pay you for, it is gooooooood.

Can you tell us about the process of how you learned that tune?  I assume most of the right-hand techniques are ones that you already had mastered before you found this song, or did you pick some of them up from the record?

Dan

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 02:15:24 PM »

Can you tell us about the process of how you learned that tune? I assume most of the right-hand techniques are ones that you already had mastered before you found this song, or did you pick some of them up from the record?

Dan
Hi Dan - Have been trying to get this right for years. I must be honest and say I don't really think much about the right hand - it's just what comes out, and I'm not sure how authentic it is...the key to this song (for me) is getting that descending chordal run beneath the first line of most verses. Then the climb with the slide on the second string up to the twelfth fret in open D tuning. I think Kokomo Arnold used this backing, or variations on it, on  a lot of his songs.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 02:34:36 PM »
that descending chordal run beneath the first line of most verses.

since the cat is out now, how does the descending bit go? - I'm in a slide/open tuning beginners "clinic" right now, and it isn't immediately obvious how that would go to me.  It's a great bit - any insights would be welcome.

tom

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 01:03:53 AM »
[since the cat is out now, how does the descending bit go? -
tom

Ok - here's what I do (don't know if it's what  KA did..): with the right hand you're strumming upwards on the first, second and third strings. You start with your second finger of the left hand on the second string, third fret. Then you move that finger down one fret to the second whilst placing your index finger on the first fret of the third string. Then you put your index finger on the first fret of the second string whilst moving your second finger  to the second fret of the third string.You finish up playing the first two strings open before then sliding up gradually from about the seventh to the twefth fret on the second string.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 06:40:10 PM »
Perfesser, that's just great. You've got a nice, loose style like Kokomo, a real authorative right hand touch on those strings, singin' is great too. This is better than quite a number of the fellas out there with CDs, IMO.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 09:38:01 AM »
Professor Scratchy,
What a fine job you did on this tune!  I really like your tone, both instrumentally and vocally, and your time sounds really nice, not rushed--just taking your time.  Kokomo Arnold could be somewhat excitable.  You sound great.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 09:03:10 PM »
Just downloaded and listened. I agree: you sound great.
I play a 1931 (Sears mail-order) National Duolian, so I can hear that great twang you get on the slide. I very much like the tone, and with your"voice", you got it nailed, man! ;D
 We hear from a lot of our teachers and mentors at PT, about how one should sing in one's own voice, but this takes time to develop. I hear your own voice, and to me it sounds cool. Good job!
Hope to meet you  someday and hear this in person!
Miller (Buzz)
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

lebordo

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 09:35:13 PM »
Well done, Scratch.

After listening to the original (from Disc 1 of The Essential Kokomo Arnold, from Classic Blues), the Guitar in particular does a remarkable job of capturing the same feel without being a note for note copy.  Your vocal is really enjoyable too, but enough lower in pitch than Kokomo's that his sounds a bit lighter and more airy, but I suspect that may be unavoidable.  As someone said earlier in the thread, it is best to use your own voice, so I suspect moving the vocal up to where Kokomo sang it might end up sounding strained. 

And my compliments on your ability to let the guitar accompany the vocal, rather than vice versa.  I think too often, we struggle to get the guitar part exactly the same and concentrate on that so much it becomes the dominant part, rather than the vocal being the dominant part.  You avoid that trap very well.

Offline Guitar Jim

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2005, 11:56:30 PM »
Great job Prof. You play with authority and sing with authority, and that's what it's about in my opinion. This is about as good as it gets for this type of stuff.
I feel the recording sound quality doesn't capture all the frequencies well enough and it's a bit too distant sounding......  I'd love to hear that same performance recorded on a really good recorder, with good mics and good mic placement; a good performance such as you delivered deserves that. It's especially good to hear someone sing strongly, and with their natural voice.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 06:20:32 AM »
Fantastic job, professor!

I had missed this one earlier, thanks for posting!

Cheers

Pan

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal