collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pot of ham and cabbage, ain't enough to fill mine. That just makes me peckish, I could eat a dozen fine - Me And My Tapeworm, Sylvester Weaver 1927

Author Topic: Personal profiles  (Read 3440 times)

boots

Personal profiles
« on: December 31, 2004, 05:25:16 AM »
Hi! All,

I just thought I might have another go at encouraging members to put some more detail in their profile. We're not talking inside leg measurements here. Country & county or town would suffice. When this was last raised Richard was supportive of this idea.

Slack I would have posted this in the 'Welcome' forum as this seemed the right spot, but this looks like your personal territory so I'll leave it for you to move if considered appropriate.

Happy New Year all.

Boots

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Personal profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 01:57:53 PM »
Boots:

I second the motion.

Alex

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »
This is fine Boots - we'll leave it herer for awhile and then probably move it to Jam Session.

I'll third the motion.

Cheers and Happy New Year to everyone!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 05:22:41 AM »
And, as it's New Year I'll forth it before I go out for a sit-in with a local band :P

Boot's what  basic info had you in mind ???
(That's enough of that. Ed)

boots

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 05:30:39 AM »
Hi! Richard,

I was really only thing of location, don't want to appear like big brother. :D

They can always post in "When the roll is called..." if they feel the desire to impart more details.

Also  a question - where to you enter language in your profile?

Boots

Edit: Maybe a place of origin could be of interest as people could now be at a different location from their roots.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 07:49:29 AM by Boots »

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 05:40:08 AM »
Well asked Boots, I've been looking all over for where I entre the 'Language' information since I joined a few days back and cannot find it anywhere. Is this a facility which has been removed ??

Cheers, take, care, keep on pluckin', and a Happy New Year to all Weenies and Guests.

Steve.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 11:50:37 AM »
Also  a question - where to you enter language in your profile?

Just to make sure I understand, the language spoken?

I've been looking all over for where I entre the 'Language' information since I joined a few days back and cannot find it anywhere.

This was part of the profile and now it is not?  (I upgraded the forum a few days ago is why I ask - and I cannot remember if this was field in profile.)

Thanks,
slack

boots

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 12:27:02 PM »
Hi! Slack,

Just to make sure I understand, the language spoken?

I guess it would so. It is on the profile last line in the Gender (to be pedantic I would prefer Sex, Gender pertains to grammar) section.

Cheers,
Boots

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 12:47:53 PM »
I guess it would so. It is on the profile last line in the Gender (to be pedantic I would prefer Sex, Gender pertains to grammar) section.

Ah, I see what you are talking about.  This forum software can be cofigured to use multiple languages eg I can install various language translations of the forums command set.  So that field is your language pick - but since I only have English installed - you do not see a selector box to allow you to pick another language. 

The Gender<->Sex thing may be a American<-> UK difference (?) - it is very common to see Gender for Sex here in the US. (You know, we're getting so screwy here in the US that we cannot even mention the word 'Sex' on registration forms!  :P  )

cheers,
slack

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 12:58:24 PM »
Just curious, Boots, but would you rather post in a different language? Your English seems quite good. As does Mr McBill's. What gives?
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 01:02:30 PM »
Hi John (Waxwing) and Slack,

No problems - just that I had noticed that some members profiles show the Language entry with "English" next to teh entry. BUT, when filling in my own profile there was no entry point to be able to put what language I spoke or wrote.

As Slack says - if only English is installed then it is no problem BUT how did the rest of you guys enter the value of English so that it shows in your profiles - the entry in my profile is blank.

Cheers

Steve.

boots

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 01:57:11 PM »
Hi! John,

Just curious, Boots, but would you rather post in a different language? Your English seems quite good. As does Mr McBill's. What gives?
All for now.
John C.

Just me being a nit picking pendant.
Maybe Slack can remove this field or default it to English. When he's got a spare moment.  ;D
Second thoughts the default is not a good idea. It seems quite irrelevant as everything is in English. Great for us monoglots.

Boots

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 02:04:15 PM »
As Slack says - if only English is installed then it is no problem BUT how did the rest of you guys enter the value of English so that it shows in your profiles - the entry in my profile is blank.

Hi Steve, this probably has to do with the various versions we've gone thorugh over the last year and a half.  We've been beta testing forum software for that period of time - and they just released the official version 1.0. 

Boots, I agree, it seems irrelevant since all the posts are in English.

Cheers,
slack

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal