collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm gonna get drunk one of these nights and tell my sober thoughts - Bill Gaither, Georgia Barrelhouse

Author Topic: Favorite singers  (Read 37039 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Favorite singers
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2006, 08:55:01 AM »
Thanks for the info, BH. I look forward to the book on Sister Rosetta and, now that you mention it, I remember discussion on the book about passing.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2006, 10:15:41 AM »
Right you are, John:

Second verse of "Viola Lee". Don't have time to look up date this was issued, so Can't comment on "which song had the words first." :P

Cheers,
Miller

Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2006, 12:48:54 AM »
Hi all,
I have one to add to this list:  J. D. Short.  I picked up the recent Sonet Blues re-issue CD of recordings Samuel Charters did of J. D. in St. Louis in 1961 and 1962 after hearing it highly praised by Bunker Hill and Uncle Bud, and it is sensational.  Wow, what strong singing!  I knew J. D.'s old recordings, but his only post-rediscovery stuff that I had heard was from the old Folkways album, "Son House and J. D. Short" (one side apiece, they did not play together).  Anyway, the new CD, which is actually on Verve, is so great, tremendous playing and J. D. just sings his guts out.  There are good interviews with him, too.  He was a powerhouse of a singer.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »
I have one to add to this list:  J. D. Short.  I picked up the recent Sonet Blues re-issue CD of recordings Samuel Charters did of J. D. in St. Louis in 1961 and 1962 after hearing it highly praised by Bunker Hill and Uncle Bud, and it is sensational.  Wow, what strong singing!  I knew J. D.'s old recordings, but his only post-rediscovery stuff that I had heard was from the old Folkways album, "Son House and J. D. Short" (one side apiece, they did not play together).  Anyway, the new CD, which is actually on Verve, is so great, tremendous playing and J. D. just sings his guts out.  There are good interviews with him, too.  He was a powerhouse of a singer.
The release of that album prompted Bob Groom to write a retrospective critique of Short and his music, which involved transcription of songs. This was published over three issues of Talking Blues magazine* which ran to 20, A4 pages of solid text. It's a shame he's never felt the desire to update and have it republished but I guess there ain't the readership for such nowadays.
*Talking Blues 2 (Jul/Aug/Sep 1976): 2-7; Talking Blues 3 (Oct/Nov/Dec 1976): 6-12; Talking Blues 4 (Jan/Feb/Mar 1977): 12-18

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2006, 01:46:26 AM »
The release of that album prompted Bob Groom to write a retrospective critique of Short and his music, which involved transcription of songs. This was published over three issues of Talking Blues magazine* which ran to 20, A4 pages of solid text. It's a shame he's never felt the desire to update and have it republished but I guess there ain't the readership for such nowadays.
*Talking Blues 2 (Jul/Aug/Sep 1976): 2-7; Talking Blues 3 (Oct/Nov/Dec 1976): 6-12; Talking Blues 4 (Jan/Feb/Mar 1977): 12-18
Fool that I am Stefan has very thoughtfully reproduced it here:

http://www.wirz.de/music/shortfrm.htm

at end of the discography. Just double click the pages to read.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2007, 10:25:43 AM »
Hi all,
A singer whose work I have been particularly enjoying lately is Jack Kelly, leader of the South Memphis Jug Band.  His complete recorded works are included on the JSP set, "Memphis Shakedown" and are also available on Document.  Kelly's voice was in the high baritone range, and he had a really forceful way of singing, with strong rhythmic accenting.  He was an excellent guitarist, too, with most of his songs played either out of Spanish in a framework something like that of Charley Patton's "Pea Vine Blues"  (but with IV and V7 chords) or E standard.  All in all, he was a very strong musician.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2007, 12:01:42 PM »
A singer whose work I have been particularly enjoying lately is Jack Kelly, leader of the South Memphis Jug Band.  His complete recorded works are included on the JSP set, "Memphis Shakedown" and are also available on Document. 
Do either the Document or JSP contain Kelly's 1952 Sun recording with Walter Horton (as Jackie Boy & Walter)? I bet neither Document nor JSP notes can hold a candle to the 2-3,000 word insert sheet written by Bengt Olsson and Bruce Bastin to Flyright LP113 (see Stefan's page). :)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
Do either the Document or JSP contain Kelly's 1952 Sun recording

Nope, they're not on either one.  And not on the JSP "Memphis Blues" set, which looks like a rather nice post-war Memphis collection.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2007, 12:44:15 PM »
Good catch, Bunker Hill, on the complete Jack Kelly not being complete!  I will have to look for the recordings of which you spoke.
All best,
Johnm

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2007, 04:31:08 AM »
(In No Order)

Big Joe Williams, Mance Lipscomb, Charlie Patton, Tommy Johnson, Sleepy John Estes, Robert Lockwood Jr, Frank Stokes (Also One Of My Favorite Guitarists), Bo Carter, Funny Papa Smith, Bo Weavil Jackson, Etc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:32:47 AM by mississippijohnhurt1928 »

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2007, 04:33:27 AM »
Oh and Peetie Wheatstraw!!

Offline Blind_Jim_G

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2007, 06:19:55 AM »
I'm not sure what the criteria are to nominate somebody, maybe I'm straying off topic, but put me down for Dave Van Ronk. I'll second the other votes for Blake and Fuller too.  And among the living I've always loved the way John Cephas sings.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:02 PM »
And of course Josh White!

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »
Currently I am listening to Charley Jordan singing "Keep it clean".  What a wonderful voice. 
Charlie

I absolutely love his voice!

But my family can't appreciate it my brother says it sounds whiney. (what a fool!)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2007, 12:47:38 PM »
MJH I think your family needs educating, sadly so do mine as they also share the same (poor) taste  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:49:14 PM by Richard »
(That's enough of that. Ed)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal