collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats - Albert Schweitzer

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79600 times)

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Re: New John Miller Website
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »
... fun and motivating.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »
A great one to do Johnm -- and I like the fact that you spend some time with phrasing the vocal.  Even though you taught at PT, I've got to pop for it... and encourage you to do more!

Offline jrn

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »
Catfish blues is definitely one of my favorites! I actually got to see Honeyboy Edwards play it not long before he passed. Ill be ordering mine when the eagle flies Friday!
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »
I have to agree with you, Johnm, one helluva fun song to play. And it never fails to go over well with the audience, really gets them up dancing with that pulse. I usually mention the old adage of "playing more than three chords is just showin' off" and then point out that this is what you can do with one chord. Really a phenomenal arrangement. Both subtle and outrageous. And it takes a good right hand to drive it. For anyone who hasn't seen it there was a good thread about this song a year or so back.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »
Hi all,
Just a reminder for those who might be interested but missed the first announcement:  The Song of the Month lesson at my website, at http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html , is Robert Petway's "Catfish Blues", transcribed in its entirety, and with indications where the singing falls relative to the accompaniment for all of the verses.  The lesson includes detailed talk-throughs of the intro and accompaniments to each verse, and a special work-through of the vocal phrasing for each verse.  Learning the vocals and accompaniment simultaneously makes sense out of the lengths Petway held his different licks, because the lengths are all driven by the vocal phrasing.  This is being offered, just for the month of November, at a special reduced rate of $35.00.  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to the link above.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2015, 09:36:40 AM »
Hi all,
Just a reminder that there are a couple of days left in November for the lesson on Robert Petway's "Catfish Blues" at a reduced rate.  See the immediate previous message in this thread for more information on the lesson and where to go to order it.  There will be a new Song of the Month lesson made available next Tuesday on December 1.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know about the Song of the Month lesson being offered at my website for the month of December, 2015.  It is Bo Carter's "Pretty Baby", and in Bo's long recording career, I think this song had his most exciting solo.  Even by Bo's very high standards, "Pretty Baby" shows an unusual degree of invention and imagination.  Here is Bo's performance of "Pretty Baby":

The lesson is offered at a special reduced rate of $35.00, and includes TAB and detailed talk-throughs of Bo's rendition of the song, with the TAB sent as a .pdf attachment to an email and the talk-throughs sent as .mp3s.  To get more information or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks for your time.

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:22:56 AM by Johnm »

Offline EddieD

• How's she goin' b'y?
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2015, 05:36:21 PM »
Excellent John!  I just wanted to say on here that I recently purchased a lesson from Johnm for Blind Blake's Hard Road Blues and it is one of the best lessons I have ever purchased. John really made me understand how this song works. Great time and detail are put into his lessons. I recommend any of his lessons. If you really want to learn a song Johnm is the man to teach you! Well worth every penny spent. :)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »
Thanks very much for the good words, Eddie, I appreciate it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 06:45:06 AM »
Hi all,
Just a reminder about the Song of the Month lesson for December, Bo Carter's "Pretty Baby".  Three posts back from this one in this thread you can listen to Bo's performance of the song, and you can go to:   http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html , to find out more about the lesson, offered at a special rate of $35.00, or order the lesson.  Thanks for your time and Happy Holidays, everyone.
All best,
Johnm

Offline book

• Robert & The Book
    • www.roybookbinder.com
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »
NICE TO SEE YOU ARE ACTIVE AS EVER......GREAT WEBSITE.....KEEP ON........Long way from our Blue Goose Tour........
Roy BB

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
Thanks, Roy.  Nice to hear from you and great to hear that you're still touring so actively.  Blue Goose is getting to be a while ago!  Happy New Year!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2016, 11:21:57 AM »
Hi all,
Happy New Year!  In addition to it being a new year, it's also a new month and time for a new Song of the Month lesson.  For January, 2016, the Song of the Month will be Buddy Moss's "Baby, You're the One For Me".  Of all the great blues players who recorded in the '20s and '30s, Buddy might very possibly the one who has been least studied and played by present-day musicians.  That neglect is inexplicable when weighed against Buddy's terrific singing and phenomenal guitar-playing.  Here is  his performance of "Baby, You're the One For Me":

The lesson includes a TAB transcription, sent as a .pdf, and very thorough talk-throughs of Buddy's passes through the form of the song, sent as .mp3s. It is offered at a reduced rate of $35.00 for the month of January (or $42.00 for U. S. residents who would like a hard copy version of the lesson).  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks for your time, and I hope perhaps a few more people will begin to pick up on the remarkable music and playing of Buddy Moss.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2016, 06:22:30 AM »
Hi all,
Just a reminder that the Song of the Month lesson is Buddy Moss's "Baby, You're The One For Me", which you can listen to in the previous post in this thread.  A lesson on the song is available at a reduced rate of $35.00 for the month of January only.  For more information on the lesson, or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2016, 06:17:36 AM »
Hi all,
The Song of the Month lesson for February, 2016 is on Little Hat Jones' "Rolled From Side To Side Blues".  It is one of the most exciting pieces by that Texas musician.  Here is his performance of the song:

Included in the lesson are a TAB transcription, sent as a .pdf and thorough talk-throughs of Little Hat Jones' performance, sent as .mp3s.  This Song of the Month lesson is offered during February at the reduced rate of $35.00 (or $42.00 for a hard copy version of the lesson, to U. S. residents only).  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html  .  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:04:53 AM by Johnm »

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal