collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going - Prof. Irwin Corey

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 80477 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Ain't You Sorry?"--Song of the Month Lesson
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website is Mance Lipscomb's "Ain't You Sorry?", which can be listened to at the last previous post in this thread.  A lesson on the song is $35.00, just for this month.  Go to:http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html for more information or to order the lesson.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:44:45 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for March, 2017 is on Mississippi John Hurt's version of "Hot Time In the Old Town Tonight".  Here is a link to John Hurt's version:

As you can hear, it is an up-tempo dance number.  It's a great song to work on your picking and building speed, because the left hand for the song is very quiet, and doesn't have a lot of movement.  At the same time, it has some of the syncopations and surprises in the bass that we've come to expect from John Hurt.  Just for the month of March, price of the lesson is $35.00, and if you go to my website, at :http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html , you'll find more information and see how to order the lesson.  You'll get TAB plus very thorough talk-throughs of the song with the lesson.  The song is very fun to play, as I hope you'll see for yourself.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:36:44 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: March, 2017 Song of the Month Lesson: "Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight"
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »
Hi all,
This is a reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for March, 2017 is John Hurt's "Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight", which you can listen to on the last previous post prior to this one in this thread.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .
All best,
Johnm 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:51:39 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
April, 2017 Song of the Month lesson: Charley Jordan's "Two Street Blues"
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for April, 2017 at my website is Charley Jordan's "Two Street Blues", a terrific St. Louis blues played out of E position in standard tuning.  Here it is:

Charley Jordan really outdid himself in playing grungy bends in this song, and the whole piece is put together with an attention to detail that makes it both challenging and really fun to play.  Just for the month of April, cost of the lesson is $35.00, and if you go to my website at http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html you can get more information and find how to order the lesson.  It includes TAB and very thorough talk-throughs. 

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Two Street Blues" by Charley Jordan--April Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for April, 2017 is Charley Jordan's "Two Street Blues", which you can listen to in the last previous post prior to this one in this thread.  Price of the lesson is $35.00 during April, and for more information or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:09:10 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
May, 2017 Song of the Month lesson: Mance Lipscomb's "Charlie James"
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that my Song of the Month lesson for May, 2017 is on Mance Lipscomb's spooky song, "Charlie James".  Here is a link to Mance's performance of it: 

I have transcribed Mance's intro solo, his verse one, two and three accompaniments, his later solo and his coda.  The song is a beautiful Texas Blues, played (for the most part) with the monotonic bass for which Mance is so well known.  Price of the lesson, for the month of May only, is $35.00, and for more information or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the "Teaching" section.  I hope you'll enjoy learning to play "Charlie James" as much as I have over the years.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:16:44 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: May, 2017 Song of the Month Lesson: Mance Lipscomb's "Charlie James"
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for May, 2017 is Mance Lipscomb's "Charlie James".  You can hear the song at the last previous post in this thread.  The lesson can be purchased for $35.00 for this month only.  Go to:  www.johnmillerguitar.com , for more information or to order the lesson.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I just wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for June, 2017 is Fred and Annie McDowell's version of "I'm Goin' Over The Hill".  Here is their performance of the song:

The lesson teaches Fred's guitar part on this rendition, from beginning to end, including the brief intro and all four verses.  Cost of the lesson, for the month of June only, is $35.00, and for that you receive a TAB transcription and very thorough talk-throughs of each verse, outlining fingering, economies of motion, etc.  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to my website at:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html  .  Thanks for your time. 
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: New John Miller Website
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for June, 2017 is Fred and Annie McDowell's "I'm Goin' Over The Hill", which you can listen to on the last previous post in this thread.  The lesson transcribes the song in its entirety and includes TAB and a very thorough talk-through of the piece, available for $35.00 only during this month.  Go to http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html for more information or to order the lesson.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know about the Song of the Month lesson for July 2017 that I am offering this month.  It is Edward Thompson's "West Virginia Blues", a powerful 16-bar blues in dropped-D tuning with some neat syncopation in the bass.  Here is a link to Edward Thompson's performance of the song--it starts at 23:13 in the link, which was the only one I could find that would be viewable by non-U.S.A. residents.

For the month of July only, the lesson is available for $35.00, and it includes a transcription of Edward Thompson's verse one and verse three accompaniments (his variations are minimal) and very thorough talk-throughs of both verse accompaniments.  For more information, go to my website, at http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html.  Thanks for your time.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:06:45 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2017, 06:00:39 AM »
Hi all,
I just wanted to post a reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website is Edward Thompson's "West Virginia Blues", which you can listen to at the last previous post to this one in this thread.  Cost of the lesson is $35.00, and you can get more information or order the lesson by going to my website at:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
Hi all,
After taking a month off in August, I wanted to let you know about the Song of the Month lesson for September, 2017.  I've selected William "Barber Bill" Moore's rendition of "Ragtime Millionaire" to teach this month.  As the title suggests, it has a raggy quality, and in its syncopation and nifty right hand moves I think it hearkens back to the parlor guitar era.  Price of the lesson, for this month only, is $35.00, and if you go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section you'll find instructions for making payments to me using www.paypal.com.  Here is a link to a youtube clip of William Moore performing "Ragtime Millionaire", just in case you've not heard it before:

Thanks for your time, and I hope you've had a good Summer with lots of guitar playing.
All best,
JohnM

Offline eric

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »
For whatever reason, the link to the song was blocked in Canada, but this one works.  Cool tune, John.  I really like William Moore's stuff.

--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »
Thanks for posting the other version, Eric.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
Hi all,
Just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for September at my website is on William Moore's "Ragtime Millionaire", which you can listen to two posts back in this thread.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to:  www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal