collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
But it ain't no use to worry, honey, 'bout the time you've had. If you had a lot of trouble, honey, it is just too bad - Barbecue Bob, It's Just Too Bad

Author Topic: Walter Coleman  (Read 2047 times)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Walter Coleman
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »
Hey, I heard a tune on Weenie Juke recorded by a cat named Wallace Coleman I think it was called "Going to Cincinnatti" I really liked it and I don't know anything about Wallace.

Does anyone here know more?

Thanks.

(The Song Was From The 3rd Volume Of Rare Country Blues)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 03:39:08 PM by Slack »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Wallace Coleman
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 03:24:58 PM »
Hey, Calvin.  Not much is known about Walter Coleman.  He was from Cincinnati, recorded 5 songs in 1936, was married by 1942, and apparently died in 1946.  He was blind at the time of his death.  He may have recorded under the names Sweet Papa Tadpole and Kid Coley, but then again they may have been someone else entirely.  He was probably related to the Cincinnati artist known variously as Kid Cole, Bob Cole, and Bob Coleman.  He sang and played guitar on all his recordings, accompanied by an unknown second guitarist.     

(Hey, Bunker Hill - thanks for mentioning Steve Tracey's Going To Cincinnati a few weeks back!  The above information comes from that source.)

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: Wallace Coleman
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
Hey Thanks, And Sorry You're Right I Meant WALTER Coleman.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Walter Coleman
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:04:03 AM »

:)  Hey Calvin (thats the fifth "Hey" in this very short thread !) so, tell me where and when did you get your interest in Country Blues... do you play?

If you have been asked this before and I've missed it, sorry!!!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 01:07:35 PM »
I Am 13 And I taught my self boogie-woogie and blues piano I Started Out About 4 Years Ago Listening To 50s Rock Stuff (Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Etc....) Before then I had listened to whatever my parents played on the radio (60s Pop/Rock Mostly)

Well, when I turned 10 I heard The Shirelles Cover Version Of The Andrews Sisters' "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" and I started listening to early jazz such as Jelly Roll Morton

And when I was about 11 I started To research the 50s rock influences more which were mostly rhythm and blues musicians like Wild Bill Moore, Big Joe Turner, And such. Well I then researched THEIR influences and found most of them were influenced by Jazz And/Or Blues So since I had already listened to jazz I started listening to the blues.

The first blues album I listened to was The Best of Howlin' Wolf, at that time I was pretty ignorant of the music I was listening to, so I asked my dad about the history of it. He didn't know much but he did own a copy of Robert Johnson's Complete Recordings, I listened to it and loved it. I now knew that there was blues as early as the 1920s and I kept researching and listening. Now I own easily over 150 blues albums and about 7 boxed sets, and I can't stop listening!

Here Is A Short List Of My Favorite Musicians:
Piano Red
Big Joe Williams
Charlie Patton
Ishman Bracey
Tommy Johnson
Washboard Sam
Bukka White
Big Jay McNeely
Bo Weavil Jackson
Mance Lipscomb
Blind Boy Fuller
Bull City Red
Robert Lockwood Jr. (Who I met and saw perform Twice!!)
Mississippi John Hurt
Speckled Red
Hambone Willie Newbern
Son House
Tampa Red
Blind Blake
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Big Bill Broonzy
Johnny Shines
Robert Johnson
Jim Jackson
Robert Petway
Tommy McClennan
Wild Bill Moore
Mississippi Fred McDowell
Sonny Boy Williamson (I And II)
Howlin' Wolf
Reverend Gary Davis
Sonny Terry
Brownie McGhee
Meade Lux Lewis
Pete Johnson
Professor Longhair
Fats Domino
Bill Haley
Big Joe Turner
Albert Ammons
So Many Many More...........

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:13:59 AM »
Well you certainly have been busy and have developed such good taste as well  ;) 

That, Howlin' Wolf has a lot to answer for as he was on first ever blues LP I bought when I was 14 or so as well  :P

Why don't you reduce the size of your piano boogie recording so you can get it on the back porch. You are very lucky to have picked up the art of improvisation so quickly, one of my daughters loves jazz and can read anything musically,but take the dots away and she can't string 2 bars together  :(
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags: Walter Coleman 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal