collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Had all that cork on our face... made us look even blacker... shit, painted our mouths white... made 'em look big... I had to have a shot of liquor before the show. If I didn't it seemed like I couldn't be funny in front of all them people. When I had one it seemed like them people was one and I would throw up the banjo in the air and really put on a show. - Gus Cannon, on performing with Dr. Stokey's Medicine Show in Clarksdale, Mississippi

Author Topic: RL Burnside on Fat Possum  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
RL Burnside on Fat Possum
« on: June 24, 2003, 07:51:01 AM »
Hi all,
In case you have not already seen it, Fat Possum has put out, in the same series as its recent Joe Calicott release, the first recordings of RL Burnside, made by George Mitchell, probably on the same trip as he recorded Calicott; they're from the same year, anyway.  It is really strong stuff, good guitar and some amazing singing.
All Best,
John

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re:RL Burnside on Fat Possum
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 09:10:14 AM »
Too much to resist - I've now ordered both.

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 09:36:44 AM »
Some of the Mitchell recordings of RL are also on the Arhoolie that has Joe Callicott.  I'm assuming similar mild overlap on this CD. The stuff is great and I'm not even an RL fan...

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 03:53:49 PM »
Oops, I erred earlier.  Probably not the same trip for Mitchell.  Calicott was from '67, Burnside from '68.
John

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: RL Burnside on Fat Possum
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:57:41 PM »
Hi all,
A friend of mine here in town has been figuring out a number of tunes from this CD, and is interested in picking up another RL CD in which he was either playing solo acoustic or solo electric.  I am not familiar enough with RL's discography to know which of his releases would fall into either of those categories.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »
Hi John,

I highly recommend "Mississippi Hill Country Blues" also on Fat Possum (CD 80341).? Solo acoustic, 19 tracks, all but three recorded by Leo Bruid at Groningen, Netherlands in 1980 and 1982.? The other three cuts recorded by George Mitchell in 1967 (so, little overlap). Great stuff!

cheers,
slack
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 05:58:52 PM by Johnm »

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 09:08:06 PM »

John:

My recommendation is Acoustic Stories, on the MC label.  Here's a url for a review:

http://www.mnblues.com/cdreview/rl-acoustic.html

Slack's recommendation is a real good 'un. There's a CD with the same name--Mississippi Hill Country Blues--on the Swingmaster label. The liner notes say that the songs were recorded in Denmark, I don't know if they're the same as the Netherlands recording, just with different liner notes.  Whatever, both CDs are great.

Lindy

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 10:30:05 PM »
Thanks, John D and Lindy, for the information.  I will pass it along and check out these releases myself, I think.  It occurs to me that when I was in England for the European Blues Association's spring week-end, a friend of mine there, Alan Smith, told me of a fellow he knew in the Netherlands who had recorded RL in the early '70s and had 300 (!) unreleased tracks of him.  I wonder if the fellow in the Netherlands is Leo Bruid?  I will try to find out.
All best,
John

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 07:21:49 AM »

I went to the Swingmaster CD site (which I'll add to the links section) and found this description:

No. of discs: 1
Stereo/Mono: Stereo
Studio/Live: Studio

All songs trad./arr. by R.L.Burnside, vocals and guitar. Red Ramsey, harmonica on # 13.
# 1 -12 and 16-19 recorded by Leo Bruin in Groningen, Netherlands.
# 1 -7 and # 11 -12 recorded October 1982.
# 16-19 recorded November 1984.
# 13-15 recorded by George Mitchell near Goldwater, Mississippi in 1967.
# 7, # 11 -12 previously unissued.

Special thanks to Jaap Hindriks, Kent Laundre, George Mitchell and Fred Reining.
Produced by Sem van Gelder and Leo Bruin.

Don't know how the Denmark idea got into my head, but obviously this disc and the one on Fat Possum are the same.

Lindy

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 07:42:44 AM »

As promised, I added the Swingmaster label to the record company page in the links section.

If you go there, don't just click on the "Blues vinyl" link on the left-hand side of the Swingmaster page, also go to their catalog page.  They've got CDs from Burnside, Henry Townsend, James Son Thomas, a guy named Big Boy Henry (who Lightnin' Wells used to gig with), and a few obscurities that look tempting.

Lindy

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 08:44:01 AM »
Hi Lindy,
Thanks for checking that out.  Leo Bruin is denitely the guy I was thinking of.  Also among his vinyl releases is one I picked up when I was in England.  It is an album of Turner and Marvin Foddrell, two guitar-playing brothers (now deceased) from the Virginia Tidewater area who were very good friends of John Jackson.  The brother's names may not ring a bell, but they did some really nice East Coast-style picking.  I probably should have sprung for the Henry Townsend album and one of George and Ethel McCoy, too.
All best,
Johnm

HardLuckChild

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 11:37:33 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Burnside. Though he looks like a bluesman and was born around the right time, I feel that his musical, lyrical, and vocal abilities are lacking. I know this may seem like an over-symplified statement, but I feel like he is just half a Fred McDowell.

I should say that I'm not satisfied with Fat Possum's cd's in general. I like the Furry Lewis one, the Fred McDowell w/Johnny Woods one, and the Joe Callicott one is pretty good. However, my Furry and Callicott cd's have poor and brief liner notes. I don't like Paul "Wine" Jones, T-Model Ford and the rest of those guys. I hope I don't sound ignorant or anything- I just don't like the majority of the company's output.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 03:03:16 PM »
HLC:

I appreciate your opinion. Negative reviews are just as valid as positive ones as long as they're heartfelt.

Alex

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 08:33:44 PM »
Hi all,
I just picked up the "Mississippi Hill Country Blues" on Fat Possum (licensed from Swingmaster), and Lindy and John D., you are right--it's a real winner.  A few cuts duplicate those put on the more recently released first recordings on Fat Possum.  I think this is great stuff, and I particularly like his singing. 
Re RL's merits or lack thereof as a Bluesman, I can certainly understand him (or anyone else) not being somebody's cup of tea.  I'm surprised to see his pedigree as a Blues player questioned, though.  To me he is a Blues singer/player through and through.  If it's not blues, I don't know what it is!  I remember hearing him sing "Pony Blues" at the first or second PT festival.  God, it was great.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 04:06:01 PM »

In case you haven't heard...

Kenny Brown's assistant reported that Mississippi hill country blues legend R.L. Burnside suffered two heart attacks and a stroke last week and is in a hospital in South Haven, Mississippi.  Here's to wishing R.L. and his family all of the best during this trying time.

More information from Kenny's assistant Veronica...
"Please check the www.blues.org website. I am working on getting a Fundraiser together to help pay for R.L.Burnsides hospital bills. R.L. has been in ICU since Thursday, and we are hoping he will be released to another room, Monday
I will continue to update as I get the news. The Blues Foundation will be donating a cash dollar amount of approximately 1,000."

"I spoke with Linda Burnside, R.L.'s daughter.
He is still in ICU, although he is doing much better, he is now sitting up and eating a little."

For Donations, please make checks payable to Mrs. Alice Mae Burnside.
Send Cards and Donations to: R.L. Burnside, P.O. Box 5021, Holly Springs, MS 38634
Thank you for your prayers,
The Burnside Family

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope we can all be generous to the Burnsides,
Lindy

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Re: RL Burnside's Sudden Illness
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 11:01:07 PM »
Send Cards and Donations to: R.L. Burnside, P.O. Box 5021, Holly Springs, MS 38634
Thank you for your prayers,
The Burnside Family

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope we can all be generous to the Burnsides,
Lindy

First of all I hope R.L. makes a quick recovery.
I've liked all of R.L.'s stuff since the first time I heard it (here on the Juke), the documentery "You See Me Laughin'" made me appreciate R.L. and all the rest of the "Fat Possum" blues musicians. Asie Payton died while they were still filming and it made me realize that these real blues guys, the guys that live the life, are few and far between.

Thanks for posting an address to send donations.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 11:05:46 PM by NotRevGDavis »
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Re: RL Burnside Update
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 07:53:40 AM »
Good news- I found this at www.blues.org
R.L. Burnside Returns Home

R.L.Burnside has returned home to his family. Although, he is still very weak, and his health care will require more than the average attention needed, Doctors at Baptist Memorial Desoto, Mississippi, have released him. It is blessing, to have him back.
The Burnside family would like to thank everyone for your support, donations, cards, and letters.

Multiple W.C. Handy Blues Award winner and North Mississippi Hill country legend R.L. Burnside had been in intensive care unit at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Desoto County, MS after a recent stroke and heart attack.

Send Cards and Donations to:
R.L. Burnside P.O. Box 5021 Holly Springs, MS 38634

« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 08:02:25 AM by NotRevGDavis »
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal