collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
What is Blues then? It's a worried mind. It boils down to worry. Sometimes you worry so, it cause you to jump off the 'Frisco bridge up here, worry you so it cause you to stick a gun in you... that's all, it's worry. Some folks say, 'well, he went out of his head'. Well, if it's worry cause you to go out of your head, that's what it is. But that's the Blues - Reverend Rubin Lacy

Author Topic: Alan Lomax: The Man Who Recorded the World  (Read 1321 times)

Offline jostber

Alan Lomax: The Man Who Recorded the World
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:41:54 AM »
An new biography by reknown biographer John Szwed is coming up in short time:

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780670021994,00.html

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:54:52 AM by jostber »

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Re: Alan Lomax: The Man Who Recorded the World
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »
Thanks for letting us know.
I've just pre-ordered a copy.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »
If it's by John, It's bound to be worthy! If you don't believe me, check out his book on Sun Ra!!

Peter B.

Offline RB

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
As I oftern say, here I don't keep up with current musicology, so I know little about John Szwed's work but can say that I took a course from him (at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia) in 1970 or 1971 (or maybe 1972) and wrote a paper on Huddie Leadbetter for which I rec'd a good mark.  I doubt if the paper was really good--though it was much more detailed than most writing on rural African American musicians that I had read at that time (and I'd read a good deal of what was then published)--but neglected--youth--to keep a copy of same, so have been able to think of it without criticism, in the pristine land of memory only.

As to Lomax, while I have always very much appreciated some aspects of him, I have for a long time not felt very good about other aspects of his career.

Tags: Alan Lomax 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal