collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Kiss me dear till I feel the string, make me want to shake that thing. Give me everything and how - if you are man, then show it now - Mary Dixon, Papa You Got Everything

Author Topic: Homemade guitar case humidifier  (Read 1180 times)

Offline unezrider

Homemade guitar case humidifier
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:27:05 PM »
hello friend,
i ran into a little mold issue on my room humidifier. (i live in northern IL, & it's that time of year when i really have to pay attention to the humidity level where i keep my guitars)
i got the humidifier clean, but in the mean time i went to the drug store, bought a couple of travel soap carriers & some sponges. drilled some holes in the soap carrier, wetted a sponge, & placed it in my guitar case. & judging from my hygrometer, its keeping the humidity levels in the case mid 40's - 50%.
when those arctic airs hit, i can't keep my room above 39% with my humidifier going full blast.

does anyone else use this method for keeping your guitars humidified? & if so, is it sufficient enough itself, without the room humidifier going all the time?
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: Homemade guitar case humidifier
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
I live a bit further south (central IL), and have used this method for years with no ill effects.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline unezrider

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
thanks, frailer!
that's good to know!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
I humidify the house (or try) and use dampits in the guitars in the cases. But I also add homemade humidifiers as well. I go even more basic than the soap dish. I buy round makeup sponges, the exact same kind you'd find in those Kyser soundhole humidifiers. They're cheap at the drugstore and come in bags of multiples. Then I take small ziploc bags and poke holes all over them with a fork. Moisten the sponge, slip into the bag, and pop it in under the headstock. I find the neck/fingerboard areas can show dryness issues and need to be humidified too, so the ziploc does the trick.

Offline unezrider

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
i like the makeup sponge idea, uncle bud. i used a regular rectangle sponge, folded it in half & crammed it into the  soap case. for my national i have it placed under the headstock. & on my les paul i have it near the neck joint. (more or less, its where room allowed in each guitar case.)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal