collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Boy, everybody's bin asking me one damn thing or another. I'll sing you something from that record when I get out there. You're here to hear me sing, ain't ya? - Lightnin' Hopkins responds to a young Alan Balfour's request to sign an album sleeve

Author Topic: Homemade guitar case humidifier  (Read 1176 times)

Offline unezrider

Homemade guitar case humidifier
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:27:05 PM »
hello friend,
i ran into a little mold issue on my room humidifier. (i live in northern IL, & it's that time of year when i really have to pay attention to the humidity level where i keep my guitars)
i got the humidifier clean, but in the mean time i went to the drug store, bought a couple of travel soap carriers & some sponges. drilled some holes in the soap carrier, wetted a sponge, & placed it in my guitar case. & judging from my hygrometer, its keeping the humidity levels in the case mid 40's - 50%.
when those arctic airs hit, i can't keep my room above 39% with my humidifier going full blast.

does anyone else use this method for keeping your guitars humidified? & if so, is it sufficient enough itself, without the room humidifier going all the time?
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: Homemade guitar case humidifier
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
I live a bit further south (central IL), and have used this method for years with no ill effects.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline unezrider

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
thanks, frailer!
that's good to know!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
I humidify the house (or try) and use dampits in the guitars in the cases. But I also add homemade humidifiers as well. I go even more basic than the soap dish. I buy round makeup sponges, the exact same kind you'd find in those Kyser soundhole humidifiers. They're cheap at the drugstore and come in bags of multiples. Then I take small ziploc bags and poke holes all over them with a fork. Moisten the sponge, slip into the bag, and pop it in under the headstock. I find the neck/fingerboard areas can show dryness issues and need to be humidified too, so the ziploc does the trick.

Offline unezrider

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
i like the makeup sponge idea, uncle bud. i used a regular rectangle sponge, folded it in half & crammed it into the  soap case. for my national i have it placed under the headstock. & on my les paul i have it near the neck joint. (more or less, its where room allowed in each guitar case.)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal