collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The way that gal kill up men, the graveyard ain't got much more room - Lonnie Johnson, Low Down St. Louis Blues

Author Topic: Need a beater for regular bus tour work  (Read 987 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Need a beater for regular bus tour work
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
I recently took a weekend job as a bus tour guide in Memphis where I will be plugged into a PA, singing/playing guitar and telling music history.  I plan to focus on country blues, though I will have to play the obligatory Elvis, Johnny Cash, B.B. King, STAX material as well.  With all that in mind, I need a guitar that can withstand the rigors of the road yet also be repsonsive and good for fingerstyle country blues.  I currently play a 1930's Washburn and a more recent vintage Lowden, but the other guides say no way do I take these guitars on the bus.

Any ideas on cheap insturments with onboard electronics that might both play well and look good for a crowd?  One of the other guides plays an Indiana brand guitar that looks like an American flag - it gets a great response from the crowd but it plays and sounds just awful.  Again, I can't break the bank on this - preferably something under $300 - $400.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Need a beater for regular bus tour work
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
Head over to the local pawnshop and pick up a brand X archtop with a pickup, Harmony, Kay, Silvertone. You used to be able to pick them up for a couple of hundred or less.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal