collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got a simple rule about everybody. If you don't treat me right, shame on you - Louis Armstrong

Author Topic: Ben Curry  (Read 3727 times)

Cooljack

Ben Curry
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:20:29 PM »
Could someone with a more musical ear tell me what instrument Ben Curry uses on his recordings? I can hear a harmonica in there along with a stringed instrument that sounds like either a Banjo or a Mandolin? just wondering out of pure interest he has quite an interesting sound.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Ben Curry
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:48:40 PM »
I love Ben Curry's material and have wondered the same thing, not being banjo-knowledgeable. However, to my ear, it's got to be either a tenor banjo (four strings), or a mandolin-banjo (eight strings). My money's on tenor banjo but I'm prepared to stand corrected.  :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:50:22 PM by andrew »

Cooljack

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:36:34 AM »
well I had a strange dream last night that told me it was some sort of mandolin for some reason, though im more prepared to go with your answer it does have a sort of banjo sound. It sounds alot more like a banjo on his version of "Tight like that", which is comparativly alot more clear than other songs he recorded.

Offline samjessin

• Bluegrass and Old-Time Time
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »
I'm torn between four and eight strings but it definitely sound like the same scale as a mandolin.

What a guy!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:43:31 AM »
Hi all,
It sure sounds to me like a banjo-mandolin that Bogus Ben was playing.
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal