collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Big Bill Broonzy: Have you ever shot craps in your life? Sonny Boy Williamson: Oh, I have errr... BB: is that what you call it down there "shooting craps"? SB: shootin' craps, that's right BB: You ever been locked up in jail for shooting craps? SB: Of course I have - SBW being knowingly grilled by Big Bill

Author Topic: buying a guitar soon....advice?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Mark Miller

Re: buying a guitar soon....advice?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 05:27:57 PM »
I was thinking about the Blueridge OOO.  Only problem is it has the same narrow string spacing as my dread.  I will try one out before I buy, for sure, just in case.  And yes, I will definitely only buy something that I have played and that really grabs me.  It has only happened once, it was a low-end Martin OM, I forget the exact designation, but I couldn't spring for it right then.  Sigh.

Offline kenneth

• Hello
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
My only guitar is a Blueridge 160 Dread.  I love it, it sounds great for bluegrass and Carter-style, which was my first love affair on the guitar.  But I've been doing more fingerpicking than ever, and Mississippi John Hurt, Big Bill Broonzy, and company are calling me more and more.  I'm about ready to spring for a nice guitar, and instead of a Martin D-28, which is what I always used to think I'd get, I'm now thinking that my Blueridge is good enough for flatpicking, and what I need is a guitar that's better for blues fingerpicking (not so much Delta blues as Piedmont and more ragtime-inflected stuff, and when I can get around to it, all those regional styles John Miller has been documenting and teaching).  So forget the D-28....but then what?  A Martin OM?  or OOO?  Or a Gibson---what?  A Jumbo?  I know it finally will come down to trying a bunch of them and seeing what feels and sounds right, but I'm a bit lost starting out, there just seem to be so many options, I was hoping you folks could give me some advice for starting the quest.  Thanks! OK, I am very Martin biased having had 6 throughout my life, I have had a Gibson Southern Jumbo which is a very versatile guitar and I recently had, but sold on a Gibson LG2 3/4 which is more parlour sized, but given the criteria that you are indicating I would try and find a really nice Gibson Nick Lucas Special used by Bob Dylan on his early albums, although he has quite a Martin balance. If I can be of any more help please contact me. Good hunting
Kind Regards- Kenneth

Offline sabocat

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »
Best thing about playing da' bluz - no special gear required.  If the nut width and string spread at the bridge is right the only other thing you need is to all you need to toss in a sporting right hand.  Go figure out how far apart you like the strings, what neck carve floats your boat and what body style sits well with you.  Then play a whole bunch.  I am guessing one will just leap right out at you.

Offline Mark Miller

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 04:20:00 AM »
Sabocat was right. Over the past couple of weeks I have visited three music stores multiple times and played a dozen or more guitars. The one that leapt out at me was a Martin OM-21. Suddenly songs I knew well sounded the way I had been trying in vain to get them to sound, and songs I have struggled with were much easier. In addition to the sound, it just feels so fluid to play, and is so comfortable to hold. I had tried a couple other OM-21's and they were not like that. So I bought it.  Thanks for the input guys. I'll see you on the other threads--maybe I'll even post a video!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 02:59:30 AM »
I had an identical experience with an OM-21 ... found one that was superb; got the shop to get in another one so I cld compare. Also compared it with a 000-28 and an OM-28 -- it ate all their lunches ... hey, I liked the guitar so much I bought it! Went home and started leaning new songs. Great choice, Mole. 

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 07:21:06 AM »
It's a great feeling isn't it, when a guitar CHOOSES YOU!!! how could you not love it?? Remember, it's not the size, shape or brand of guitar you choose.....all that matter is the MUSIC that comes along with it! Congratulations for finding your guitar!

Rick

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal