collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Preacher told me God'll forgive a black man most anything he do. I ain't black, but I'm dark complexioned - J.T. Funny Papa Smith, Howlin' Wolf Blues

Author Topic: SOTM - May 2018 - 'Alabama Bound'  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
Re: SOTM - May 2018 - 'Alabama Bound'
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
Was Listening to a Merline Johnson LP and came across these two ditties, the second ones a bit of a trifle :D

Also Jerron's great version: starts about 11:40

Offline DavidCrosbie

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
Was Listening to a Merline Johnson LP and came across these two ditties, the second ones a bit of a trifle :D
But quite an influential trifle. It was covered in 1946 by Blue Lou Barker..

More recently it was covered by Maria Muldaur ? easily discoverable on YouTube. She even made a recording with Blue Lou (thirty years her senior) joining in.

It now seems to be a standard among contemporary New Orleans bands. I particularly like this version by Tuba Skinny.

The Don't you feel my leg  verse appears in Jerron Paxman's clip. Quite possibly he owns that same Merline Johnson LP. And I bet he has a Henry Thomas LP/CD, judging by the I got a gal, she's workin' hard verses.

Offline Thomas8

• oooh well well.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »
wow did not expect that.

Offline DavidCrosbie

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »

Either he got words from a book or somebody half-remembered a record. Either way he had a good  preacher verse

Well hear the preacher preach
Pass his hat around
Cryin' Brothers and sisters leave your money to me
I'm Alabammy bound
The verse is from Leadbelly.

I suspect one of Lonnie Donegan's sources was this recording that Leadbelly made with backing by Woody Guthrie and Cisco Houston.

Personally I think he sounds better with these white folkies than he does with the black Golden Gate Quartet. The latter were more polished musicians, but didn't have the enthusiasm and deep respect that Woody and Cisco had. At least one of the Quartet spoke rather disparagingly of Leadbelly in an interview.

For both recordings he uses the same arrangement featuring the melody line on his guitar in unison with his voice or just solo. Many musicians since have copied this.

And he uses more or less the same verses ? though only the recording with Woody and Cisco has an Elder Green verse.

By contrast, when he recorded the song for the Library of Congress in 1935, he hadn't worked up the arrangement. And he was a bit stuck for verses. I suspect he subsequently picked up some verses from the Lomaxes.

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 10:30:41 AM »
According to this site https://www.songfacts.com/facts/blue-lu-barker/dont-you-feel-my-leg Blue Lu and her husband Danny Barker were co-writers of Don't You Feel My Leg.

Offline DavidCrosbie

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
Blue Lu Barker's 1938 version was issued as Don't You Make Me High ? the same title as Merline Johnson's record of the same year.

Tags: SOTM 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal