collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't want to get my throat cut by a sand-footin' woman or anything unnecessary like that - Bukka White

Author Topic: Slack Key  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Reso1

Slack Key
« on: May 31, 2004, 10:45:14 AM »
Well, I hope I'm not too far off topic, but someone mentioned ki hoalu (Slack key), so I thought I'd oblige.  A tune by Mr. Sonny Chillingworth, "Moe Uhane."

Lee

;)
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

Offline jed

Re: Slack Key
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 11:59:14 PM »
Considering how close blues and slack-key are, particularly as roots of the music of their respective land masses, I'd say your contribution is a close cousin to any topic here.

That's an interesting recording- the close delay and/or chorus shows that Bra Chillingworth had no fear of judicious use of modern effects to help make his point.

Mahalo baby,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 07:07:09 AM »
Very nice Lee.  I used to know one slack key piece - tabbed out of AG magazine, long since forgotten.  Where did you learn this piece?

cheers,

Offline Reso1

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 11:07:13 AM »
Jed/Slack:

Thanks for the (+) feedback! As far as the recording goes, I'm in open G, capo on 1st fret. I didn't use chorus or delay, but I did multi-track (8^).? That is I recorded once, and then recorded playing on top of the first recording to give it that "chorus/delay" effect.

The tune is off of Sonny's Dancing Cat label release, which I tried to figure out, but visit www.stropes.com for an excellently transcribed tab version. He has some great tab by some great finger style players, I just wish they do some country blues!!

Lee
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:11:08 PM by waxwing »
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 07:14:38 PM »
Nice Lee! What a great piece.

Offline dronai

• My fingers hurt !
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 05:12:45 PM »
Hey that sounded great !  How long have you played ? Did you get that out of a book ? There is one book out on slack key at my music store that I saw.  Is this difficult to learn ?  am an advanced beginner.

Offline Reso1

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 05:44:13 PM »
dronai:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I've been playing "quite a while," either in dog years or human years. (8^). Sonny is one of my favorite slack key players, and I always loved this tune. It was put out on tab by www.stropes.com, a great source for accurate tab!

The tune is on Sonny's Dancing Cat release "Sonny Solo," & the tune is in open G, but Sonny capo's up one fret. Difficult to learn? I think the hardest part is capturing the timing. Slack key has its own "groove," and trying to capture that feel is the challenge.

Take care,

Lee

-Groucho Marx

Offline Guitar Jim

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 11:45:15 PM »
This is possibly my fav. recording here. Generally I like to hear an instrument that's not been overdubbed..... I prefer any recording to be totally live, but this piece is so beautiful and so well done I guess I'll make an exception. Slack key is a beautiful style.
This is my first post here. I've been a lurker for a while. I've just bought some recording equipment and once I get comfortable with it's use I'll probably post a tune or two. I play lap slide on a Weissenborn style instrument and sing.  GJ.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 03:44:42 AM »
Wow, that was really nice!  So good it makes me want to hop on an airplane, fly to Honolulu, and stop by the Waiola Store for a melon shave ice.  Lee, you have a great feel for the style.  Do you play a lot of slack key?

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 10:31:31 AM »
Absolutely cracking playing Lee - many thanks for posting _ i enjoyed it immensley.

Cheers and keep on pluckin'

Steve

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal