collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Get that sound in your head first, so that sound'll stay with you day and night. Then you learn to do somethin'. Until you get that sound in your head, shit, you ain't gonna do nothin' - Blind Lemon Jefferson, to Tom Shaw

Author Topic: Candyman Revisited  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
Candyman Revisited
« on: April 06, 2005, 06:28:54 PM »
I posted the following in Jam session and said I would put up another tune.

He got a Shure SM86 Condenser Mic
Delta 1010 Sound Card
Behringer Mixer

I submitted a couple of songs previously reecorded on my laptop plugged into the sound card and some of the comments were that it sounded like an electric guitar rather than an acoustic. At first I thought it was due to the low sampling rate required to compress to 800K or less, yet after listening to other members submission I realized it wasn't that.  Well anyway yesterday my son let me try his new mic and I have to say it sounds like I am in a recording studion compared to the sound from my laptop sound card.

I will submit a song in the next day or two.
One question is this. He records through the mic into his new sound card. However for playback his speakers cables do no fit into the new sound card so for playback he is plugged into the old sound which is on the motherboard. If it sounds this good now will there be a drastic improvement when we get some kind of cable adapters to playback through the new soundcard?
I posted this song previously and was encouraged by some of you to sing. I have neevr sang in front of anybody before. I always play only the instrumental part, but you have encouraged me to try. This was done on my son's new equipment and it sounded much better quality wise before I compressed a 2 meg file down to 800K.  Slack had previously remarked that it sounded as though I was playing an electric. I hope this sounds more acoustic.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Candyman Revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 07:01:11 PM »
Huge first step, Bluesymel! Way to go. Just keep doin' it. Let your voice develop on it's own for a while before you worry about getting critical about it. Sounds fine. Remember to keep goin' back to the original to hear the little syncopations and such, but don't force anything. Just listen and let things work their way naturally. And overall the guitar was as solid as before. I'm serious, that's a great first step.

Yeah, the guitar sounds much better, tone wise. You were using a sound hole pickup before, weren't you? Without sophisticated EQ and such that's always gonna sound like an electric. It doesn't listen to the guitar, it magnetically feels the strings vibrating and creates an electric impulse, just like an electric guitar pick up.

So, what's next?

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 09:16:08 PM »
Hey Mel - nice job!  Yes, the guitar sounds much better and your singing is just fine.... the more you sing the better you get -- just like everything else.  Thanks for posting the re-do with vocals - as waxy says, you've got a good start.

Cheers,
slack

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »
That's really rather good...

The vocal fits really well- you have a good voice (I'm jealous...).  As you get used to singing it, the vocal will sound and feel more natural and the voice will come into its own.  So keep playing it! :)

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:59:24 PM »
I never did listen to the first one, but this one is a wow, great feel on the geetar, and yes, it sounds acoustic!  And I agree you have a nice vocal quality. This, like much of John Hurt, is not an easy song to sing and play together on, IMHO.  John had this almost supernatural way of singing around and "over" the guitar.  You do a much better job of it than I can!  Honestly, it's hard to believe this is your first effort at singing with your playing - it is very good.

Yes, you just gotta sing.

I really look forward to more posts now that you are "wired".  BTW, the recording sounds fantastic.

tom

dabluz

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 06:10:46 AM »
bluesymel

randy says "I'm feelin ya dog"
Paula says "great song selection, you did it your way, you're doing good"
simon says "sounds like something you'd hear on a cruise ship"

screw simon, it was cool, john hurt is tuff stff, i liked the guitar. keep it up dude  8)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal