collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't got nobody here but me and myself. If I had my right mind I'd stay drunk all the time - Charlie Patton, Shake It And Break It

Author Topic: Sunday Rag  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
Sunday Rag
« on: February 20, 2005, 05:53:55 PM »
I only started this piece about one week ago. Credit for the tablature goes to our own Steve McBill.
Composed By: Stefan Grossman
Copyright: S. Grossman
Transcribed By: Steve J. McWilliam
I know it's quite rough and since I am new to ragtime I would like any suggestions regarding timing etc. I know it sounds like I am playing an electirc but is a Martin D35. It is a Seymour Duncan sound hole pick up plugged into a laptop with no actual sound card so maybe that's why. Any way, comments please.

Mel

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Sunday Rag
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:25:32 PM »
Mel:

One week ago-terrific. This tune is more in the classical-ragtime catagory rather than the blues-ragtime genre of which I am more familiar.

Two comments. The bass notes, especially the 1 and 3 beats are a bit weakly struck (or at least sound that way, could be a recording artifact). If they were more definate it would give the piece a more bouncy, ragtime feel as well as emphasizing the ends of the lines where the bass drops out.

The second is; for my taste the piece could be speeded up a bit and syncopated ("swing") a bit more.

You've got a great start, with a little more practice and so you'll have a real show-stopper type piece there. I'm jealous!

Alex
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:23:40 AM by pyrochlore »

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:28:33 PM »
Hi Mel,

One week - you have been working very hard. Well done indeed. The tune is coming on very well and is beginning to sound rather good.

As you know, Stefan composed the tune and when he did so it was somewhat before the outputs of much of the classical guitar arrangements of Wijnkamp, VanBergeyk and Johannsen et al, though the amazing duets by Laibman and Schoenberg had been around for quite a while. In my opinion Stefan was attempting to produce a tune to emulate some of the blues-ragtime outputs of Rev Davis (e.g. along the lines of Cincinnatti Flow, etc.) though I can see what Alex is referring to in the structure - however, many of Davis' ragtime pieces have a similar structure.

I would agree with Alex that leaning a little on your thumb would currently improve the piece - I feel this is particularly noticeable when you play the fourth and third string bass notes. Again I would also agree that a little speeding up (not too much) and a fraction more syncopation would help.

I am very glad you have enjoyed the tab and the piece - it is very obvious in your playing. Good also that you have added your own ending - I like it. For me I think tabs should be learned closely to the original (preferably with the original audio track to hand as well) BUT, that once you have it down and fluid that the tab should then be discarded and somewhat more freedom allowed in to your playing. Then, over the next few months you should find that the tune fits more closely with your own playing and interpretation and small changes (or even big ones sometimes) creep in to make the piece 'your own'. (It used to be known as the 'folk process' back in the 60s.).

Anyway, keep it up, and how about a re-post in a couple of weeks time so that we can see how it is developing?

All the best, keep on pluckin'. Hugs.

Steve.

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 08:04:42 AM »
Thanks for the constructive comments. I especially am working hard regarding the thumb strokes in this piece. I usually have a pretty strong thumb in most of what I play but this being the first piece for me where the constant bass is broken in the middle section still feels odd to me. I have that thumb stuff down pretty well and can't seem to do anything without an alternating bass. But that's another problem in itself. Anyway thanks for listening and I will keep practicing.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 04:09:28 PM »
your thumb situation is pretty typical, I think.  At first it is hard to get that steady alternating thumb going, then, it's hard to do anything without it!  It all comes with a bit of time, and then of course theres always the next thing after that...

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:16:45 AM »
Mel,

Can I ask how you are playing the bass notes in say bar/measure 4 (D7, G7) ??

In this measure teh thumb should play the open string basses on 5th string, then 4th string, then 3rd string. Is that how you are doing it or are you playing teh third string with your right-hand fingers ?? By playing these notes with your thumb you can gain the correct dynamic and expression.

Hope that helps rather than confuses.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 04:24:59 AM »
Mel,

Steve

Steve, I will chek when I get home from work and post. Thanks for the assistance.

Offline Bluesymel

• Love the Blues!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 06:59:34 PM »
Mel,

Steve

Steve, I will chek when I get home from work and post. Thanks for the assistance.

Steve,
I was not playing the measure with thumb as you indicated. I am working on it now and  can hear the difference. Thanks for the tip.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal