collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We have a special guest on harmonica, please give a nice round of acclause (sic) for... JOHN DYLAN - Muddy Waters, introduces Bob, Bottom Line 1975

Author Topic: Orb Mellon's Sloppy myspace site  (Read 1960 times)

Orb Mellon

Orb Mellon's Sloppy myspace site
« on: April 28, 2006, 05:16:44 PM »
High All,

I've uploaded some quickly executed tunes on my new myspace site.

Technology is fun!

www.myspace.com/orbmellon

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: Orb Mellon's Sloppy myspace site
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:41:20 AM »
Well I have really enjoyed listening to these tracks and have recommended them to a few friends.  Anybody who likes Son House and the Clash has to be a good guy in my book.

It's also fascinating following links to some of the other individuals and bands on the MySpace site.  Some good and some not-so-good.  Neil Harpe's daughter, Erin, is a fine fingerpicker and singer.  It's worth checking out her MySpace page (www.myspace.com/erinharpe).

People like Charley Patton and Blind Willie McTell also have pages, clearly having a link from heaven to cyberspace.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 06:58:47 AM »
I like the droning quality, one chord kind of stuff. Hard to keep a listener's interest unless it's real. Nice job, Orb.

Erin Harpe sounds fabulous as well.

Patton and McTell signed up for myspace, eh? I guess Rupert Murdoch owns everybody...

Orb Mellon

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:07:22 AM »
Thanks for the listens guys!

Also, much thanks for the Erin Harpe mention. I checked her out and she is quite good. Given her dad's penchant for Stellas I'll bet she doesn't play a Taylor either.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:15:57 AM »
Given her dad's penchant for Stellas I'll bet she doesn't play a Taylor either.

I bet she plays a big square dreadnought with a really thick, shiny finish and a narrow neck with a really low action...  no, maybe not.  I did congratulate Neil on his great parenting, turning out a daughter with good acoustic picking skills.  My two daughters don't play (although one was good on piano at about the age of 8 or 9 and then packed in) and my son is a scratch DJ - say no more.

Let us know when you add some more mellonious music, Orb.  Do you do stuff on acoustic (as opposed to resophonic) guitar?  It would be interesting to hear.
Barbecue Bob

Orb Mellon

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 07:07:30 AM »
I do work with a wooden acoustic as well as resonator. I have an old ladder braced Cromwell that is my back up instrument when I gig. It's funny but I just really connected with my National ever since I got it a few years ago.

I do need to record something on a wood guitar though. Maybe the next one I come up with?

FWIW, I think scratch DJing can be pretty amazing. Some of what those folks can do with a turntable is unreal.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 02:28:17 AM »
Look forward to hearing something on your Cromwell.  As you mention ladder-bracing, I guess it's a flattop guitar, as opposed to the more usual (I think) archtop Cromwells.  The picture against my Weenie ID is my Kalamazoo KGN-12 - also from the Gibson factory.

Not everybody gets on well with Nationals and the like, but listening to your recordings, you clearly do - and that's what makes them interesting and enjoyable to me and others.

Keep on pickin'.

Michael
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 02:31:08 AM by Parlor Picker »
Barbecue Bob

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal